1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Troubleshooting Ampeg SCR-DI Issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattzink, Sep 25, 2019.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hello All:
    I've recently purchased an Ampeg SCR-DI pedal for quiet practice at home. (Ampeg: Pedals - SCR-DI) In short, I've run into an issue when practicing with headphones that after a minute or two of clean sound (and with the fuzz off), it starts with this terrible signal degradation that turns into a sort of growl, then scream in the headphones.

Initially, I thought this was my instrument cable creating the issue. But this morning, using a completely different cable (and not having anything plugged into the aux jack) it happened again. The same thing has happened on two different basses (a Kala U-Bass and a Fender Jazz). It could be the headphones - that's the one thing I've not eliminated yet - but has anyone else run into this? Any tips for troubleshooting? Is this a bum unit? (I hope not.) Let me know what you think.

2. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Are you using a battery?if so change it.

BassBlue likes this.
  3. the SCR EATS 9volt batteries - so if you are on battery, I'd strongly suggest getting an AC adapter. This is my at home quiet practice setup, and I love it.

4. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    D'oh! It seems so obvious now but it was indeed the battery I believe. I just swapped it out for a fresh one and in the brief time that I played it there was no signal degradation. But you are absolutely right about it eating batteries. In my defense I didn't check the battery because it was probably only about a month old. Guess I'll be buying a power supply. Anyways thank you all for your help! Case closed and great work.

5. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    Yes, love the pedal, but just eats batteries. Way better with a power supply.

Spidey2112 and mattzink like this.
  6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I use a One Spot with mine.

BeyondFiredUp and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    What's that? You have a link you can share?

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    drumvsbass, Spidey2112 and mattzink like this.
  9. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    People... helping people.

11. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    That's what it's all about. It in this case, people helping a jackass (me).

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Asking a question doesn’t make you a jackass. Not asking and living with an easily fixed problem might however. :)

Not really your fault IMO. I too was all chuffed about the battery powered option when I bought my SCR-DI. Unfortunately Ampeg didn’t go out of its way to let you know it isn’t really practical to try running it on batteries. So I bought it its own 1 Spot to keep it company and now all is right with the world. :thumbsup:

13. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Mine did that even with a wall whort. I changed out the 9volt battery and it works fine now.

mattzink likes this.
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    @mattzink:

I use an SCR-DI the same way you do.....for home practice with headphones.

I run my SCR-DI with a 12 volt power supply. It works flawlessly! :thumbsup:

Prior to me buying it, I had read about the squealing noises caused by underpowered batteries. So I knew from day one that I would be powering it with a 12 volt external power supply.

15. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    If you use more pedals, pony up and get the brick - best ~$100 I ever spent on bass gear.

16. I had this problem last week.i never messed around with pedals so I didn't know that it was a thing. Had to go into town to get a wall wart. No matter, live and learn.

17. This is on my pedalboard, so I use a Dunlop MXR DC Brick. Works like a charm, but any power supply will do.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    Not to hijack the thread, but have any of you SCR-DI owners have a problem with your guitar causing the input to clip? I used mine with my Bongo5 and even with the jumper moved over to reduce the input gain, it would clip. I liked the pedal but ended up selling it because even with rolling the low end off the bass, I couldn't tame it.

19. Awesome glad it was a simple fix!

20. Yes I have had that issue - and it’s the main reason I moved it off my live pedalboard. That and the Scrambler was just taking up space lol! For me it’s a perfect little practice box - but the MXR M80 and a Bass Soul Food have replaced it, and I actually like that tone combo better. But for an all in one great sounding practice tool - it’s tough to beat!

40Hz likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021