1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Troubleshooting Bartolini preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abarson, Aug 25, 2007.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'd like to know if there's some way to test the electronics on my Tobias Growler. I've installed fresh batteries and the strings are fairly new, and everything appears to be working normally tone-wise, but my gain just doesn't seem right.

I can plug a passive bass or even my cheap ABG into the same amp, and I'll get loads more signal than from the Tobias.
    What else can I look at?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

That is normal enough in the bass world. Many Barts are comparatively low output. So much so they're intended to be used with preamps. Use much cut on the pre and it only gets worse. If that's the only complaint, I'd simply turn the amp up myself cause I'd lay bucks you won't find anything amiss.

Often you can plug such a bass into a passive input cause the output isn't high enough to cause distortion. When you plug a low output active into a 10 dB input pad, then it can really put a crunch on output. You could also use something like a GEB7 to boost output into the amp if you want but if you've got a seperate active/passive input that would be self-defeating.