Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sleazylenny, May 5, 2003.

1. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Been having a problem. Maybe you can help.

Recently I've had occassions where my signal either drops in output drastically or drops out completely. Of course this happens in the middle of a show ( which runs a real tight program, so theres not a lot of time to troubleshoot), so I'm frantically pulling cables and rerouting stuff to get my signal back. My signal chain is pretty simple

Stingray, Wireless,tuner, SVT 3 pro.

I pull the wireless and jam a cord into the tuner. The problem does not go away. I make a mental note that the tuner still registers a signal, but the output is not there.

I pull the tuner out ( it fall to the floor and destroys the power supply in the process, but that's a problem floor another time. The signal returns, but the quality still sucks.

On the break I put the wireless back in and run it directly into the amp. Signal is slightly better because of the wireless's hotter output, but still not 100%. I throw a new battery into the wireless.

Signal drops again. Back to the cord. Signal still sucks. I ditch the stingray and plug in my P. Better, but still not as good because it's passive and my amp is eq'd for the active 'Ray.

So......It's either the 'Ray or the amp. I checked the battery in the 'Ray and it sizzled my tongue. Plenty of juice. I had this problem before and a new battery in th 'Ray fixed it, but the previous battery was still strong.

Bad preamp in the Stingray? Bad battery contacts or connections? My guitarist:rolleyes: thinks it could be the preamp tubes in my head. The head is about three years old with the original tubes. I thought those tubes should last longer than that.

Any input regarding my output ( or lack of) would be appreciated.

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I think I would try a new battery. I no you said it sizzled your tongue, but it might have to have a very hot battery. Plus its a $3.00 fix
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would replace the battery with a fresh Lithium 9V, and clean the battery clip contacts, jack and pots. A cheap start, anyway... good luck.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From your description, I'd say the problem is somewhere in the Amp. You've systematically ruled out everything else.

Were U running through the PA? If so, did the sound guy have any problems with your bass signal?
  5. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Good point. Unfortunately this time My signal was going out of the line out in the amp head. A DI b4 the amp with a strong signal would indicate an amp problem.

do fading preamp tubes behave this way? Cutting out completely, coming back, or producing a weak signal?
    How do you test your tubes? If I replace them, I've heard something about "biasing" the tubes, what's that?
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When you start talking about bottles I hand it over to someone who knows more about them. I don't use tubes....
  7. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN

Anyone else wanna weigh in?
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two other things you might consider are playing your bass through a different amp, one that you KNOW works.

The other is to try a different, PASSIVE, bass through your rig.

If you don't experience problems in either case, I'd say it's just plain ol' bad karma.:(
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try this.

1. Get a Lakland 55-94.

2. Plug it in to an Eden WT-550.

3. Plug the 550 in to a D-410XLT.

4. Turn the bass up.

5. Turn the amp up.

6. Rock.
  10. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN

So how long has Eden been subsidising the shameless plugging you do for them here?:p