Troubleshooting help req: Ampeg BA112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by viking power, Sep 18, 2017.

1. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Hey fellow low-enders! I'm having trouble with my amp and am wondering if anyone can steer me toward a possible source of my problem?
    Yesterday, I was playing along when I heard a couple of scratchy type sounds like you hear when you plug a hot cord into your bass and then silence. No output from the amp at all. I powered off, unplugged bass and plugged back in. Still nothing. Just power light and the pop when amp is powered on. Replaced batteries in my bass. Still nothing. Researched on the interwebz and read that maybe the headphone switch/jack is stuck. Plugged headphones in and still nothing. HELP! She's been a good little amp and I'm hoping I can bring her back from the grave.

PS if this is the wrong place for this thread or anything I apologize in advance.

2. If it has an effects loop, try connecting the two jacks with a patch cable.
    Those jacks do switching and if they never get used might get a little crud on the contacts.
    If the cord fixes it, leave it in or clean the jacks.

viking power likes this.
  3. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    No effects loop unless you're referring to the output jack? If I sound dumb it's because yeah, I don't know much about amps.

4. Effects loops are usually labled effects in/out or send/receive.

viking power likes this.
  5. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Nothing like that. Thanks for the idea though. Here's a link to a pic of the controls/jacks: Redirect Notice

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. There aren't any 1/4 in plug on the back either?

viking power likes this.
  7. The only other thing I would know to do before taking it to a text is to make sure the speaker wire didn't my some chance come loose. I had that happen on a Peavey combo once. I just unscrewed the speaker from the baffle and looked inside and sure enough one of the wires had come off . Lol

viking power likes this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Assuming you've tried different guitar cables, a different bass, and are getting nothing through the headphones, have you tried running a signal from the 'line out' into another amp?
    Are you getting anything if you use the 'CD input'?
    If it's just the headphone input sticking, at least that'll be easy for a tech to sort out.

I hope you get it sorted out, it is an excellent combo.

viking power likes this.
  9. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    No sir.

I opened up the back and the speaker is connected fine on the amp side (not sure about to the speaker cone- didn't check that). Having said that, even if unplugged from speaker shouldn't it make sound through headphones?

Tried a different patch cable but not a different bass. Don't have a cable to plug into cd input jacks. I did visually check that all the 1/4" jacks were cycling properly by plugging and unplugging patch cable while I had the back open. They looked clean as well. Also, don't have another amp to line out it to.

Frustrated right now. Just venting my anger and giving you all an update. Aaarggh.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. Sounds like a visit to a tech is in order my friend. I hope it turns out to be something easy and cheap for ya

viking power likes this.
  11. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    You think that rather than just write it off.? Will they usually give you an estimate before performing work?

12. My tech has always given me an estimate. I would definitely take it in and get a quote 1st if the repairs seen like they are more than. What's its worth then I'd try to find a new one

viking power likes this.
  13. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Right on. Thanks for all the advice!

floridagatorfan likes this.
  14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Is this the older v1 or the newer v2?

If you're not even getting anything with headphones plugged in, I wonder if there's a loose connection right at the input jack.

floridagatorfan and viking power like this.
  15. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    I'll check that out tomorrow.
    It's the older V1.

16. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Hahaha. Oh man!

Wasn't the amp. Plugged in my other bass and it played just fine. Only problem now is that my primary bass is dead and after looking at the internals I don't see what the problem is. No obvious broken connections.

Oddly and floridagatorfan like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Does it use a battery?

18. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Yes inbfact it uses two. Replaced both so ruled that part out. So weird, just quit on me mid session.

19. . Glad that your amp is fine. Sucks that your bass isn't though. At least you have an extra

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Time for a new thread in the Basses forum. ;)

Glad your amp’s ok.

As far as the bass goes, I’d think either the output jack went bad or maybe one of the pots. A disconnected wire somewhere?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021