1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Troy Sanders of Mastodon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WMV2, Apr 10, 2009.

1. WMV2

WMV2

Feb 19, 2007
    Personally, I really dig his tone and his playing. I love his use of distortion/fuzz.

How do you guys feel about him?

2. I like him. very rocking and the most metal beard ever.

3. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    we are taking a band trip to to see'em on tuesday... we're psyched!

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I'm pissed that I didn't get tickets for that show.:(

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You have no one to blame but yourself; we all told you to get on it months ago when you brought it up in one of the Krush threads.

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I got busy and broke. :(

Came back later and they were all gone. My fault yes, but I'm betting they will be back in the fall to venues closer than boulder.

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya hes awesome. seeing them in May

8. Damn tickets sold out really fast I was still organizing a group to go :(. I like his playing during the intro to trainwreck.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Side note: one of my favorite shows was Mastodon in '04 opening for Slayer. They're outstanding live, and you won't be disappointed.

other side note: I'm glad I saw them long before Crack The Skye.

10. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Good band all the way around. The "mandatory" unintelligible vocals are a bit of a drag, but that's new-school metal, right? Mastodon ROCKS, straight up.

11. Unfortuneatly that's where new metal loses me somewhat. I have tried to get into Mastodon but just can't connect with their music for some reason.

12. KillemAll09

KillemAll09

Apr 13, 2009
    ya the distortion sounds really good with Mastodon's style

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Try Crack The Skye. Few if any unintelligible vocals there.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've always enjoyed Mastodon, but if you are willing to give them another shot, listen to a few tracks from Crack the Skye. They should be much more to your liking than anything else Mastodon has previously released (more atmospheric, different vocal style, etc.). Start with "Oblivion" and work your way forward from there. It's all good. Not one disappointing track on it, IMO. :)

EDIT: Deluge beat me to it. :D

It's probably the most "accessible" album they've ever made, but it retains their signature style while exploring new territory. I'm sure it won't resonate as well with die-hard Mastodon fans who were drawn in by their earlier, heavier work (i.e., Remission), but it'll definitely expand their fanbase.

Personally, I think it's their best album since Leviathan, if not even better than that.

15. I have heard the new one is a little different vein. Thanks - I will give it a shot. Blood Mountain was just hard for me to get through. Even wanting to like them.

16. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    I have some of the same difficulty with other metal bands. I appreciate the music in lots of these black/death groups, but I simply cannot get around the Cookie Monster vocals. Either these guys (the singers) are trying WAY too hard, or I'm just not in on the joke.

I don't have this problem with the Sword or Mastodon though. I guess they're more likely to be thrown under the "stoner" metal label. Rammstein's vocals, I actually enjoy, despite the fact that I don't speak German. But again, I guess that's more techno-metal than black/death metal.

17. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    what kind of bass pedals is troy using- as in the organ-style synth bass pedals?

18. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    they were better unintelligible. :meh:

I don't wanna hear these dudes sing and "emote."

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You're REALLY showing your age there bud! :D

Great band all-around though. Didn't sound emo at all and seem to have more of a 70's stoner vibe than straight up metal...which is totally cool with me. It's ok to expand your tastes some times.

20. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I do like their music, and think their bass player does a great job of deploying the fuzz, but I HATE their vocals. It reminds me of a joke or something. Similar to Cradle of Filth almost. This is a band that I wanted to like badly!