Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRP Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron Now, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    These are pictures of a bass my uncle and I made.

Semi-Hollow 4 string bass

Bocote face wings
    Maple back wings
    Maple neck
    Ebony fretboard
    EMG CS 35
    1 volume
    Schaller Bridge
    (I didn't get a good shot of the headstock, if anyone is that interested I can post one)

There is a tung oil finish on the instrument, but the picture really does not do the real thing justice.

Let me know what you all think.

Attached Files:

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I like it.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im not a big fan of the simple look (i like my vast array of controls and pickups), but I think it looks pretty good. How do you like that CS pickup?

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I really like the CS the overall tone of the bass is very midrange oriented but there is alot of output and it gives me a nice even tone.

I only have 1 pickup and 1 knob because I found that I dont use all the extra ones (the other ones we built had EQ's on them). I tend to find one sound and stick with it.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Isn't this considered SPAM? In essence you're advertising your business.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I agree.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not really since it is not for sale.

I was just showing pictures of my new bass that my uncle and I made. Sorry if I could have some pride in our work.

I guess I'll just stick to the other forums since I get treated so nicely here.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    True, but you stated that you have a business, one that makes basses and in posting here you give an avenue for potential customers to contact you in order to solicit your services and buy your product. These things can be construed as "advertising"...

Not sure what Paul's (site owner) view on this is, but I'm reporting it to the mods so they can decide.

Not picking on you or anything, just trying to make sure board rules are followed.

9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    There I changed my original post. It now says that we made the bass. Nothing about anyone every buying any (nor was there before I changed it for that matter) or me trying to sell one. I just wanted to share.

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I believe what they are trying to inform you of is this forum's Commercial User Policy.

There is a very good reason for this policy, as we have a lot of representatives from several businesses here from luthiers to up front sales and everywhere in between. This policy was put in place to make sure that the forum wasn't overrun with users posting their own wares and stepping all over each others toes, feet, and ankles while burying the rest of us.

Make sure that you give it a read when you get a chance. We're not trying to drive you away or keep you from having pride in your work, but we have to make sure that you're aware of the rules.

11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I stand by that I never once stated anything about wanting sell any instruments or look for potential buyers. I just wanted feedback on my bass.

For instance...I like the F holes.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's a cool looking bass. DeKalb, eh. That's not that far away from here...

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    This possibly should be in the luthiers corner but I think you should go easy on the guy, I didn't see the origional post but it doesn't look to me like he's aiming to sell basses.

Oh and also, he has been registered since 2003, hardly someone who signed up just to spam to promote his company.

Now anyway, on topic, I like the woods and the overall style, I do think that the body narrows too much before the horns though and that personally I would have the horns finish up a bit wider out, looks a bit squashed to me. Otherwise, looks very nice.

14. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

I agree, It was not intended to do that but we took too much off the wings and they pitched forward more than anticipated. Still enough room for my hand down at 24th fret so it worked out alright at least.

15. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    OTOH, some might like the phat-booty look that it gets from the horns being narrow.