TRS vs. mono cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, I've got a dbx 120 XP coming in the mail :) , and the manual says to use balanced TRS cables, but that regular mono ones will also work.

I've got lots of mono cables, but no TRS. Should I go buy new cables? Should I try out the mono ones first and only go TRS if there are noise problems? Just how important is it for me to be balanced for this box?

Right now, my signal chain uses regular cables up until the DI box, which feeds XLRs to both my power amp and the pa board. Should I consider using TRS elsewhere in my chain?

Thanks for your help,

PS - I wasn't sure if this goes in amps or FX, I tried here first.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I just ran into this with some new toys.

I tried using 18' instrument cables (because they were handy). I ended up spending the $7 to get some from MF (part# 333003) that are a pair of 3' shielded TRS cables.

I think the new ones are a bit quieter.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use balanced TRS patches everywhere in my PA (I make them myself with Switchcraft or Neutrik plugs and Belden or Canare shielded cable). However, I've never really been able to tell the difference between them and unbalanced cables when I've had to use unbalanced in a pinch. I'm sure the balanced will be significantly better in a noisy environment. I use them just in case. I think God prefers everything to be balanced, though.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks. I think I'll wait and see how noisy my mono cables are. They are short, so that should help. I don't play in church, so God's preferences don't apply. I do play in bars -- Dionysius once told me to turn it up, and to finish the beer on top of the sub cab before it vibrated off. He was right! :D :bassist: