1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tru-Oil and/or Wipe On Poly on basswood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Oct 17, 2009.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Anyone have pics?

2. Basswood is not typically left natural as it doesn't look all that great. You may have a very tough time finding any photos of it done this way.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If your going to do it yourself, would suggest useing something like Minwax all in one sealer, finish and tint. Dont think Ive ever seen a seethru finish on a basswood body. If yours looks nice enough to warrant seethru, go for it. Trying to remember, is basswood the one that often has green mineral streaks in it? If so some sort of see thru green might be nice to augment and compliment that.

4. Yes, basswood has been none to have the greenish tint in it. Also it has pretty much no visible grain which is another reason that they don't ever do it in natural.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I think you may be thinking of Poplar which can have greeninsh streaks. I've never seen or heard of basswood with greenish streaks.

6. Are you trying to say I don't know what i am talking about?

No....you are right I WAS thinking about poplar. I am remembering right bout the lack of grain though. Plus it is soft and very easy to dent.

Come to think of it you would not want a light finish on such a soft wood you should really have something stronger.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Uhhh...Yup

:bag:

:)

8. Not to sidetrack this discussion but who is Mongo 1??

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Interesting question so I just checked and there isn't a Mongo 1 here but there is a Mongo with one post that doesn't seem to have posted in about 6 years.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I know Warmoth says basswood isn't good for clear finishes, but my Tele looks ok. There's not a lot of ooh-ahh factor about the grain, but it doesn't look hideous. It's tinted acrylic lacquer with clear topcoats. I was wondering how the oil and/or WO poly would color the wood. Spraying lacquer is a hassle and I'd like to try the oil/poly if it ambers the wood a bit.

11. Anonymous Guy

Anonymous Guy

Jul 28, 2008
    Using light finishes on Basswood isn't advisable because of how soft the wood is. Bare basswood dents from the lightest of touches.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I know it's soft, which is why I plan on using several coats of poly over the Tru-Oil.