1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tru-Oil for whole bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bett, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I'm going to be building a bass in at school this year as a project (I made a thread for it http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466073 ). I'm trying to collect the pieces and plan everything out before I begin building. So my question for the finish is: can I use Tru-Oil for finishing the whole bass, fingerboard included? I will be making a fretless with most likely a rock maple fingerboard with cherry lines. I am planning on using flatwounds for the bass when it is done. Will Tru-Oil work for the fingerboard? It would be easier if I could just order a jug of one finish to use on the whole bass and I don't mind having to apply an oil finish. I don't want to use an epoxy or poly finish unless I have to. So, will gunstock oil protect the fingerboard enough?

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    You don't want to put an oil finish on a fretless fingerboard. Why do you want to put any finish on the fingerboard anyway?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Truoil and most of the other oil/varnish blends don't add much protection from wear even using flat wounds. I wouldn't use them. Leave it bare and when you start to get noticeable wear sand the wood level. Maple isn't the best choice for a fretless neck. Ebony is better.

4. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I agree in not finishing the fretboard. You can use it to finish the rest of the build, since it is basically a wipe on finish. I finished a project bass with the neck and body were sprayed with a 75/25 Tru-Oil and naptha mix. It polished out well with pumice and rottenstone. It will also turn your color coat towards an amber tint, as you can see in the second pic, but I like that way.

DCP_0943.

DCP_0967.

5. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    The only problem is that I'm working with whatever wood the teacher ordered for the class for this year. I was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase anything separately.
    So it's better not to finish it at all? It would seem that even a soft finish would provide more protection than bare wood has, no?

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    An unfinished maple fingerboard will look ugly in no time. Fretless fingerboards are commonly unfinished, but that is because they are commonly rosewood or ebony.

7. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    You could do a CA (superglue) finish on the fretboard for dirt cheap, and it would offer some protection, and help keep the dirt out.
    Epoxy is an option as well.

8. +1

9. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Unless you like green fingerboards :)