Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tru-Oil: How much is enough?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanGouge, Dec 17, 2004.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm refinishing a Jazz bass with Tru-Oil and I'm just trying to figure out how many coats do I need before it's sealed. It's had about four coats now and it looks really really nice. Am I good to go, or is there something else I should look for.

On another topic altogether, does anyone know where I can get a piece of copper to act as a ground, like in the early Jazz basses (between the bridge pickup and the bridge).

Thanks!

2. Hey Dan,
    I did 5 coats on Zebrawood and it's just how I want it. A lot depends on what your looking for. In my opinion once is starts really getting a gloss, like after 2 or 3 coats, it should be sealed then. You can always wax/buff to further add gloss. I haven't done this yet but it sounds tempting.
    But as you said it looks really really good, that sounds to me like you're done. :)
    I can't remember where to get the copper, but I've seen it recently somewhere. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Dirk

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might consider posting your copper question separately in the "Pickups" forum.