Tru Oil on a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Nov 18, 2015.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Has anyone used Tru Oil on a fretboard?

What about on a fretless bass fretboard?

I LOVE Tru Oil for use on bodies and necks....this stuff is super easy to apply and is easily repaired...seems very durable.

2. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    What type of fretboard?
    Dark woods don't need finish.
    On fretless same. Depends on what you're looking for, on fretless, there will be a massive change of tone with and without finish.

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks....I've used Tung Oil on fretboards before on 6 string guitars...I cant say that a "massive change in tone occurred"....but I just wiped on one very light coat.

If anything it seemed to darken the tone a bit.

I have actually used Tru Oil on top of poly finish as an experiment....so far it has worked fine but its an old poly finish from the factory.

4. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    I was reffering to fingerboard on fretless. They will get change in tone.

5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Have you tried Tru Oil on a fretless fretboard?

I have seen some really worn fretboards on fretless basses......wondering if they could be resurrected (sort of) with Tru Oil....to stop any more wear.

6. Garun

Garun Guest

Sep 8, 2015
    Never tried it. We don't have that here in Serbia.
    The thing on fretless bass is to have enough light touch with left hand just to the point where you get buzz. This will make sure your fretboard lasts.
    My friend is a luthier and made some amazing basses, their fretboard (wenge) lastet about 7-8 years and then started to get worn.
    I prefer no finish on fingerboard of fretless bass, and prefer dark woods.
    And again, there is no finish required on fretted bass with dark woods. But maple and similar woods do require one. But I'm not sure which one. Hope this will be helpful

7. I use Fret Doctor exclusively on my rosewood and ebony boards. It is designed to penetrate and stabilize the wood. i learned about it years ago on the Les Paul Forum.

Bore Oil for the Fife and Fret Doctor

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I've been studying Bore Oil......sounds like I will go with Bore Oil.

jazz Bass 74 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021