1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tru Oil on top of nitro, okay?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HillBillyWannaB, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I have an unfinished maple on maple neck that I'm getting ready to use tru oil on. I'd like to get a little amber tint on it first. I have a can of amber tinted nitro from StewMac. Can I use that first, then start the tru oil on top of it in a few days? I'd really rather not have to order another can of tint.

I know that ideally a water based tint would suit the maple, but I'm on a budget and I'd like to get it done with what I have.

Thanks.

2. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tru-oil is very amber in my opinion, especially after a few coats. Have you tried it on scrap yet?

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    +1

The Tru-oil is VERY amber by itself. Try it.

4. I do have a test piece, I'll try it first. I didn't realized it 'ambered' up that much.

Thanks guys.

5. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    It does amber up a fair amount... If that doesn't do it for you, try Waterlox Original. It ambers up a lot, too.

6. I definately don't want alot of ambering. Sounds like the amber from the tru oil will do it for me.

Thanks again.

7. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Nitro will continue to gas off after application and by applying Tru-oil over the top, will eventually cause peeling. Try using a tint first then the Tru-oil. As stated above, it does amber quite a bit. You might take a look at this finishing schedule.http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=37859

8. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Multiple layers of Tru-Oil wiped onto an unfinished maple neck will provide a nice amber color, sorta like an aged nitro finish. I definitely wouldn't try to wipe it on over lacquer, though...

9. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Thanks also for the link Lon, I was looking for something just like that.

10. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    you can also add dye to the tru oil to darken it up

11. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Hey... I'm bumping this thread to add my experience w/ Tru-Oil. I searched TB archives for info on this and found this discussion (and others) very helpful. I can attest to the fact that a Tru-Oil finish on bare maple provides a very nice amber finish. No need to tint, IMHO. There are about 5 very thin coats on this neck right now:

bassneck-2.

Check out a higher res photo here. I wanted a nice "aged nitro finish" look, and I think the Tru-Oil nails it. This neck was sanded down to the bare maple (man, is that a pain!). The Tru-Oil is simple, though. It's also super easy to apply with your finger (I'm using a lint-free cloth). I think the key is doing multiple layers that are very, very thin. You almost wipe all of it off each time. For the past few days, I've been doing a coat in the morning before I leave for work and a coat at night before I go to bed. That's about 12 hours between coats, which is more than enough. There are about 5 coats on this neck in the photo.

Anyway, I wanted to "give back" by sharing my experience here. TB is such a helpful resource for me; thanks to everyone who posts their stuff here.

--Steve