Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tru oil on Warmoth neck???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Corwin81, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Would using Tru-oil on a Warmoth neck void the warranty?
    What other simple finishes would work that won't void the warranty?

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I would think so, but try PMing bwbass. He works for Warmoth, so he should have your answer.

3. By asking the question like that, I bet you already have read their website and know what they say haven't you! :eyebrow:

Only hard finishes will maintain their warranty.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I didn't know if tru-oil was considered hard or not. I know it's a polymerized oil, but don't know it's strength.
    Guess I'll look for a wipe-on or spray poly or lacquer(thinking of getting Lake Placid blue from Reranch if it's deep blue enough, and clear from there too).

5. Though they call TO a "hardening" oil, it's never been considered a truly hard finish. Even shellac forms a tougher shell when cured. But if you like the color the TO gives your wood, you can put a clear poly over the TO after it's cured. The poly's usually don't impart much tint to the wood at all. I like my maples to be have a little character!

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    As far as I can tell, it's a blend of linseed and other oils, probably with some polymerizers to harden it like tung oil. Birchwood Casey, who manufactures the stuff as a gunstock finish, recommends using wax after Tru-Oil if you want "more protection".

Ken has used it, though, and feels that it does build up and harden enough to provide an adequate hard finish when applied correctly. It’s not necessarily the best-feeling or longest-lasting finish, in our opinion, but if customers want to use it on our necks we will honor the warranty.

7. Well, bust my buttons! Always one to err on the side of caution, I've assumed it would be viewed like all the other oil type finishes. After all, I'm not the guy building hundreds of high end necks a month and having to stand behind them.

Three cheers for Warmoth - a forward thinking company!!

My apologies to Corwin, I've wedged my size 11 foot in my size 10 mouth once again. :rollno:

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    sweet! I've got a bottle of this oil sitting here, guess I could use it then. Thanks Brian!

btw, Ken who? Smith? Lawrence?

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ken Warmoth, I believe.

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    You're right of course.

I forget that outside of Warmoth "Ken" could mean someone else. :)

11. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    oh, oops. didn't know his name

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Too many Kens in the business. :smug: