Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tru-Oil question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Minimalist, Nov 30, 2004.

1. I just finished a new neck with tru-oil and am VERY pleased with the result. Very easy to use and to apply and can even be done in your living room. :D
    Now I'm thinking about getting a new body and finish it as well with tru-oil. I was wondering if anybody ever tried to mix a stain with tru-oil? If so what were the results? Thanks.

2. Stains can be dicey, most are designed as finishes in and of themselves so they mess with the working characteristics of the Tru-Oil that you like so much. I have tried this and wasn't able to get the penetration I would have gotten with raw stain. If that's the main goal - to have a darker wood with an oil finish - oiling after staining is perfectly suited.

I've seen some nice oil finishes where dyes (alcohol based, I think) were used in the oil. That works really well. Most of what I've read regarding this technique is over on the MIMF. You might have to get into the archives to get all of the points the site has stored.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Stain first, then Tru-Oil. Think of the Tru-oil as the "clear" topcoat. The stain needs to penetrate the wood to look its best, so apply it on the raw wood first, then go to it with the Tru-Oil.
    Now, do you think we could petition Birchwood Casey to sell the stuff in a bigger bottle?

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hambone;

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the MIMF? With your advice and that of others here on TB, I recently finished a neck with TruOil and the idea of doing a body has occured to me but I, too, would like a darker finish than just TruOil. By the way, do you (or anyone else) have any experience with Watco Danish Oil finishes? And who makes a good stain? Thanks.

5. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Lots of experience with Watco Danish oil. My house has all the interior trim stained with the danish oil. Good stain, but Dries slow, smells like fish... have no idea if it would screw up a Tru-Oil over it, but being another oil-based finish... I wouldn't risk it.
    I've had excellent luck with the stains they sell at reranch.com website, particularly the "Neck Amber". It's actually an anniline dye you spray on the wood, and it completely soaks in, then you can Tru-Oil the heck out of it.

6. Ogle, I wonder how long it took you to get used to that smell. Do you still eat seafood? :D

Hambone, my idea was to apply some clear coats first, then use the mix and maybe add some more clear coats. I wonder if a solid color can be reached? But from what you say it can not?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    MIMF is the Musical Instrument Makers Forum

Check it out... www.mimf.com

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    128 oz. big enough?

3, 8, or 128 oz.

9. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I've never seen anything but the little 3-oz. bottles around anywhere!
    Thanks for the info!