Truck Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lardass5000, Apr 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Don't beat me again! I'll be good! Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Deep South
    I have seriously considered getting a bass for my truck. Not a nice bass or anything. Maybe one of those $50 POS Steinberger copies. You know a headless one. One small enough that I can stuff under the seat.

I can't tell you the number of times I have been waiting in my truck and wish I had a bass to play. For example when I'm waiting to pick up my kids at school or when I'm waiting for my wife to come out of the supermarket. It wouldn't even need a case I could just stuff it away real quick and my wife and kids would never even have to know it was there.

Just think of how cool that would be. It wouldn't even need pickups or Electronics. Or am I just taking this too far?

You watch now there will be a run on POS headless bases on eBay.

2. Lardass5000

Mar 21, 2016
    Deep South
    You could even sand down the sides to make them very small to facilitate storing them under your seat.

There could be five string Truck Basses, even fretless Truck Basses.

Soon there will be a thread onTB called "Show me your Truck Basses". I'm just going to go ahead and put it out there and say... Truck Bass Club

3. How 'bout a uke?

[​IMG]

onosson, Jazzish, MynameisMe and 7 others like this.
  4. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Dude! I thought I was the only one who had this thought as well! Might have to take care of this!

Lardass5000 likes this.
  5. Lardass5000

Mar 21, 2016
    Deep South
    Maybe get one of those little battery powered eden ministacks to velcro to the dash.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This will lead to distracted drivers I fear......

7. Lardass5000

Mar 21, 2016
    Deep South
    I only intended to be played while parked.

8. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I used to have a steinberger that I used to take with me . During my lunch hour I would either sit in my car or sit outside and play . It was great .but I never left it in the car.

9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

You might as well go all the way and have a car stereo place install a jack in your truck stereo system and rock out while our waiting, get the truck dancing, boom, boom like those kids with the cars you can hear before you see them? But this time it will be a real bass.:laugh:

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got a Steinberger Spirit. That would be a great choice. They are best for playing seated as they have this flipper thing that comes out to sit properly on your leg. Perfect for sitting in a truck. (when standing with a strap unless you have the button extender the bass hangs funny and is in the wrong position. They play great and have great tone. I got mine used and it was not hideously expensive but not $50 either! For wife-waiting bass practice I'd go with an earphone amp and some of those "open" type headphones with foam pads like say Koss Porta-Pro so you can hear the wife pounding on the truck window when she returns.

Don't use it for distracted driving! As the saying goes:

Keep your mind on your drivin'
    Keep your hands on the wheel
    Keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead!

mikewalker likes this.
  11. neddyrow

neddyrow www.simmerinstew.com Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    image.jpg I have a tenor guitar that I tune EADG. I play it like a bass and a 4-string guitar. Great for the couch or the backseat on long road trips.

Williethump, bobyoung53 and TBLuthier like this.
  12. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    Much more practical here in Australia. We sit on the right hand side of the car so we wont take out the door window if we get too energetic. Unless of course you are left handed.

Guiseppe, Lardass5000 and Jeff Elkins like this.
  13. So because of the few people playing bass guitar, everyone over there has to drive on the left!?

Power to the bassists, that is.

14. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I am Endorsed by BrownAmps.com
    Why shove it under the seat? Can’t you get some sort of gun rack and hang it somewhere in the truck? It’d be safer for the bass.

15. I have a full sized 34” Squier Jazz V in my service vehicle (Ford Transit 250).
    I keep it in a gig bag in the cargo area with my tools.
    I often think about getting a short-scale instead, because it would be easier to play while sitting in the cab, but I’m having a hard time finding one that I’d enjoy playing, since I play the one in my truck more than the ones at home...
    The best one I’ve tried is the Fender Mustang, but I don’t want to drop $600 on a bass that will be in the truck 24/7.
    I don’t like the Ibanez Micro 30”, but I want to try some of the new ones they just came out with, 32” scale.

On a side note, my amp is a Vox Headphone amp plugged into the Aux input of the stereo.

mikewalker and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Go full-size and hang it in the gun rack.

Riis

17. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I would like to know where I can get a $50 headless bass.:)

18. Can't you just text and drive like a normal person?

19. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I was wondering the same thing. A quick search on the 'bay didn't return anything near that price range.

murmur70 likes this.
  20. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    Not a truck, but this guy has a ball playing his "Prius" bass.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019