Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trucks - Diesel or Gasser?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Diesel

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Gasser

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Hey. I am real interested in diesel engines and diesel trucks. I am wondering how many of you are the same...and how many drive diesel or gas powered trucks.

I love diesels for many reasons. Some of which are that they can be tricked out and modded to be as fast as some of the fastest gas trucks today...and be three (or five) times more powerful.

How many of you drive a diesel truck or a gasser truck? Do you even have a preference?

2. Diesel ('94 Ford F250 4x4 Powerstroke).

More torque, better fuel economy, longer life, plus with the turbo I can pull a trailer in the mountains without losing power. (Ever drive a gasser up a hill at 5000 ft up?)

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Diesel. I use them at work all the time (F350 4x4 Powerstroke Turbo-Diesels.) IMO, they are the best trucks out there. Nothing can beat the power of a diesel. They sound and smell great, too.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My dad has a 2002 F-350 Powerstroke. He's pulled a 36' fifth wheel over 50,000 miles and it's still going strong at about 86,000 miles, I believe.

Before this truck he had an '89 Ford F-250 with the 460 in it. It was EXTREMELY powerful, but it still had some difficulty pulling our old 29' fifth wheel.

Overall, the diesel is without a doubt the better engine in my opinion. Diesel engines are always going to have more pulling power, but the one drawback to them is that they are so expensive to repair if anything ever DOES go wrong.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I work for an International Truck dealership so I would have to say that I kinda like diesel. But I drive a Ford F-150 with the 5.4 ltr. Owning a diesel did not make sense because the heaviest thing I ever carry around or pull with it was a KTM525. The extra expense of the diesel and having to buy a an F-250HD or bigger to get it just wasn't sensible.

Diesels are great, they actually burn very clean nowdays and don't pollute any more than a gas engine. They also accelerate like a big gas engine when they are in light duty trucks. They will get about 18 mpg or better and will last twice as long as gas engines.

Here something to think about if you get one. The mods that are available to increase the power are effective and they pretty much do what they claim but the transmissions that are in the light duty pick up trucks are barely capable of dealing with the torque that those engines are producing. The Dodge especially. The Chevy/GMC has an Allison 2000 series trans that has a Torque rating of 560 lb. ft. in a much bigger medium duty chassis. The new Ford Trans in unproven so far, time will tell.So if you plan on modding one plan on spending a lot of $$ on transmissions, drivelines, and differentials.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    All of this is excellent advice.

Diesels are a great investment, but it's only sensible if it's PRACTICAL. If you don't do much heavy pulling, the extra expense really isn't worth it.

If you're going for more horsepower or more torque for a FAST truck, you can definitely do better than a diesel, in my opinion. With diesels your options are pretty limited as well.

7. The extra expense is worth it if you want it.

How are diesel's options "limited"? You can have a plenty fast truck, not to mention more torque and, many times, horsepower than the faster gasser trucks out there.

As far as being limited with the stock options that you have when buying a new diesel truck, then yes...but you can tweak it out as much as you want to (or as much as your wallet wants to). :eek:

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I may be completely wrong since I don't really work on diesels, but, I believe that a gasoline engine is really a better engine for modifications. Aside from the fact that more parts are availible, and the better fuel options and availability, there is more you can do with them. Especially in the field of ignition systems. Some other considerations are the added weight of tougher heads, block gaskets, etc because of the higher compression. You also have a much more limited RPM range that they can operate at, as well. Diesels have their place in large capacity vehicles. They have it all over gasoline engines in this respect, as they just push harder, but a lot of that is gearing as well. You could gear down a gasoline engine to haul what a diesel would, but it's speed would greatly suffer, or you could gear up a diesel, but it's towing capacity would diminish greatly. There are two sides to this coin, and they both have their advantages/idsadvantages. I have never needed to consider a diesel, but if it is what you want/need, then go for it!

9. Couldn't really agree more.

And I agree that the amount of perf parts and mods for gassers are broader. Gassers are, for most people (no bias towards one or the other) better for modding and speed.

Nevertheless, diesels cater to the people who have a true love for the engine...that sort of smaller, special interest group who love to see just what a diesel can do.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If I had the money I'd probably buy a diesel. For now I plow and tow with a 454 powered Chevy K20.

11. Actually I disagree somewhat. Today's diesels are a far cry from the smoke-belching chuggers of last century. They now have 4 valves per cylinder and direct injection and rev much higher than the old ones. Mine redlines at 3400 IIRC. Though mine's only the two-valve Powerstroke, it's got low-end torque out the wazoo PLUS it pulls really hard when the turbo spools up (over 2600 rpm). I can tow 12,000 lbs if I want, yet still hit 90 mph easily (add a split rear axle and the top end could go much higher).

While there certainly isn't the selection of aftermarket goodies that you could find for a big-block Chevy gasser, there are some relatively easy mods that improve performance without overtaxing the tranny or stressing the engine. Aftermarket downpipes, intercoolers, and hi-performance turbos, bigger injectors, and propane injection. (Yep, propane injection--it's the diesel equivalent of nitrous).

But there are pros and cons to either diesels or gas, I agree completely on that.

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    01 Super Duty 4x4....absolutely love this truck. Absolutely hate the cost of oil changes though...all about trade off's I suppose.

13. Yep, 14 qts of Shell Rotella T for me, plus the $10 filter.

14. Great thread. No saracasm. I will by an AWD or 4x4 in '05 and this advice and info is helpful. Thanks!

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

There's the trade-of there... 3400-4000 (estimating...) Max safe range. My little v6 ranger does 3000 shifting from first to second. But then again, I have only a 5 speed, whereas diesels may have 10 on larger vehicles. This makes for heavy drivetrains and large transmissions in order to make the gears big and strong enough to handle the extra torque.

One of the other problems is fuel gellin' (pun) up at cold temps, which happens a lot aroud here. There are chemical additives to prevent this, but it's just what goes with the territory. Then you can also have starting problems with some of the older engines with the glow plugs. But like you said, this is becoming old history with the newer engine technology.

The idea of propane injection is pretty cool, though. That is a TON cheaper than nitrous, I am sure.

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Some of you guys who own Diesels up north...well I don't see how you do it. Maybe it's just mine but it's a total cold-natured SOB. When the weather gets cold here in Texas (far and few between) it's a pain to get her going. I have started using the engine warmer when I can remember to plug it in before bed and that seems to help a lot. You guys use the warmer much?

And mine blows pillows of wonderful thick, black, pollutin' mess when I get on it. Techs told me it's mostly attributed to the super-chip and aftermarket exhaust I had put in. I've always heard that with a Diesel black smoke is gonna happen and not really a cause for worry..white smoke however means something strange is definately afoot.

17. LOL yeah...I use my block heater when it gets REALLY cold here (0 degC)

My truck burns just a little bit of oil. Next change I'm gonna switch to Rotella T. Right now I'm running some general name 15w-40. My truck's approaching the 200k mark so I'll need to start babying it with good stuff. It continues to run great, though.

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Geez, that thing is still in diapers. My gasser has 367k on the original engine.

19. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Check out this place. There's a competition forum here, and a few guys with diesel trucks running 13 seconds or faster in the 1/4 mile.

You may have to register to get into some of the forums.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Go to this one and click on "Guy's runs" to see several 13 second passes form an extended cab 4x4 Chevy.

http://www.socaldiesel.com/video.htm

I'm willing to bet this truck weighs well over 6000lbs, and could imagine what kind of grunt is needed to propel this beast down the track.