1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

True Bass Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Breslin dp, Mar 20, 2009.

1. So I just went out and bought a 4x10 GK rbh 8 ohm cab I put my rack set up on top plugged everything in and I was blown away. I use a GK 2001 rb and I bridge the amp so I'm pushing 650 watts, I can't even keep my effects on top of the cab without everything wanting to vibrate off. I have to keep my effects on top of another cab that's not in use, is this common? I was thinking of ratchet strapping the rack to the cab.:bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, pumping an insane amount of power into a 410 will cause insane vibrations.

3. I hate to say it, but that's a sign of a poorly constructed cab without enough internal bracing to make it stiff. The last thing you want is a cab vibrating a lot.

I can pump 800 watts into, for example, an Epifani 410UL and crank it up and you can barely feel anything if you put your hand on top of the cab.

It's not a 'disaster' or anything, but it is not due to it being any particular type of cab (410 or whatever), and not really due to big power, but rather a lack of stiffness and bracing in the cab design.

You will just need to put you tuner, etc. on the floor, and make sure you head has nice big rubber feet!

4. Cabinet vibrations such as this could be caused by insufficient internal bracing'

Paul

Edit: Dang Ken, you always have your fingers poised over that keyboard or what??? Beat me to it yet again! ;)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I still say trying to pump 650w into it will cause crazy vibrations no matter how good the construction is. Having said that, there is a good possibility that it leaves something to be desired in construction methods.

6. Even the Little LMII is 500 watts. That isn't a crazy amount of wattage, and the EQ setting and frequency distribution would have more do to with it that 'wattage' anyway. Why would 650 watts into a large cab cause any more vibration than 300 watts into a smaller cab? It's all about stiffness, bracing and construction IMO and IME.

Edit: And to not bum out the OP, this isn't a huge deal.. the cab can still sound great. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some good rubber feet on the cab can help a bit, as can a nice rubber pad on the top of the cab (many people do this).

7. They call me the typist:p

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    The fact that you use 25W doesn't make 650W an unbelievable figure... Many of us need this much to feel confortable in the gigs we play... And yes, I work with 1000W into my Berg HT212 and vibration is minimum.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. More than being inconvenient energy expended vibrating the box is energy not being transmitted by the cab as sound. Properly brace the cab and it will go louder with even less power.
    If you put a drink on top of a well built cab at the beginning of your set it will still be there at the end of it, assuming some guitar'd player doesn't snag it behind your back. :eyebrow:

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Also, if he has that amp in a SKB type plastic rack Spiderman couldn't stay on the top. But so true about good design focusing the ooomph where we want it.