1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

True Bypass DIY questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bluestarbass, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so after collecting pedals over the years ive finally decided to put them all in one place and use them. I plugged them all together yesterday and I was getting some horrible noise. The pedals worked fine but there was a pretty terrible hiss. I think I need a true bypass looper. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have decided to build it myself. I have a few questions as I know alot of you are familiar with this stuff.

1. The point of true bypass is no tone suck. Well when I started reading into it the DIY site suggested building a buffer also so there was no tone suck. This seems to be getting more difficult, how nessecary is it to build a buffer?

2. How many loops should I build? Do I need a loop for every pedal, every 2 pedals? Should I break them up into groups, like all distortions on one loop, all delays on another?

3. For anyone who has done this, any other caveats? It seems like a pretty simple and cheap project. I have a fry's electronics and they have an isle that should be dedicated to DIY pedals, enclosures, wiring, switches, ICs, resistors, LED's, Everything.

Thanks, I tried searching but it seemed as though most people just bought already made ones, and I wasnt able to find the answers to my questions.

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY

I'm not sure if a TB looper is going to solve your problems. Noise doesn't usually come from bad bypasses. How are you powering your pedals? What are they? Try adding one pedal at a time to the chain, and see if there's one in particular that's causing the noise.

That said. . .

1. A good buffer solves certain problems, and it's completely separate from the question of bypasses. It might cause problems with some fuzzes, though. Let the buffer question ride for now; it's a separate project.

2. That all depends on how you use your pedals and what pedals they are. E.g., if you like to turn on octave and filter together for a synthy sound, then put them in a loop together. But if you have a pedal with a sucky bypass, then it should be in a loop by itself so it doesn't ruin the tone of any pedals that share it's loop.

3. Make sure you're really really set on your setup before you design a looper setup around it. Also, consider whether you may want one or some of the loops to be clean blended. I recommend this clean blender, it worked better for me than the miniblender: http://seanm.ca/stomp/bblender.html

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Excellent answers from the Onion man.

4. Instead of building a buffer, just leave the first pedal in the chain non-true bypassed - wham, there's your buffer.

Don't expect TB to be the panacea - it has it's own set of problems.

Hiss can be caused by improper settings - make sure you've been over your rig and checked that you don't have any of the knobs dimed, or even close to being dimed. Too much gain, whether that be input or output gain or gain from an EQ section will caused hiss.