1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

True Bypass. How important is it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Truktek2, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I'm starting to dabble in effects, and thought I'd pick up a few to see how it goes.

During my research I've come across comments such as "it colors your tone", "it's a tone suck", "you'll lose your highs", "you'll lose your lows" etc.

Just reading the reviews, I can feel you looking down your nose at me saying "It's NOT true bypass!"

Aren't these things that can be corrected down the signal chain via the EQ?

How important is true bypass to you?:eyebrow:

2. throughmylens87

throughmylens87

Oct 9, 2011
    The guitarist in my band recently removed three pedals off his board that he rarely used. It was like a blanket coming off his tone. They were all "true bypass". Less=more if you ask me. YMMV...

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Nice topic. Subscribed!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a topic we cover a LOT. :) basically there is higher and lower quality of every type of bypass. True bypass is not a magic cure-all, and not all true bypass is equally good.

Look for an article on the website www.stinkfoot.se that goes over the pros and cons of most types of bypass.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    A funny thing happened to me a couple of times. Most recently (today, actually), I got a Solid Gold FX Funkbox. Very nice sounding envelope filter, BTW. It has some cool, vocal settings; unfortunately, it has a volume drop and some low end loss, both remedied by putting a simple Behringer PB100 preamp/booster after it. Here's the strange part - when I switched the PB100 off, all the original low end was still there. The Funkbox is true bypass; the PB100 is buffered bypass. This happened with another true bypass pedal through a buffered bypass pedal, too. Can it be that buffered bypass is better in some cases for letting bass frequencies pass through?

6. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    They were true bypass and they still sucked tone? That's even more confusing.

Thanks for the link. i actually searched "true bypass" but a bunch of other stuff came up reagrding the topic. Mostly which pedals are or aren't. :bassist:

7. Further reading might uncover this: True Bypass is as important as you want it to be. There are applications where a buffered bypass would be beneficial. The same is also true. My $0.02: most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference :)

8. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    True bypass being better than a buffered bypass is mostly marketing hype, in fact a pedalboard with several true bypass pedals & no buffers at all will tonesux like crazy.

Safest thing is to mix it up with both buffered & true bypass pedals on your board

Personally I'll take a "good" buffered pedal over a true bypass pedal every time if there is a choice, that being said I wouldn't by or not buy a pedal because of the type of bypass because most of the time its a non issue.

Also converting Boss pedals to true bypass IMHO is one of the most ridiculous things possible..

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are making pedals to *sell*, I think true bypass is very important.

If you are making pedals for yourself, then you can go with whatever works best.

True-bypass is generally easiest but sometimes you want at least one good buffered pedal in the path.