True Bypass Mod For Boss Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Martybass, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I have an ODB-3 and an SYB-5 (and a TU-2, I'm not sure whether that's true bypass either) and while I use the pedals alot and like what I hear, I played direct into the amp last week and realised that my tone was so much better direct.

I've had a look around here, looking for some schematics and that, but haven't found any. Could someone either tell me what to do in a step by step fashion or post up a schematic for me (or tell me where they are, if I've missed them)?

[edit]: would I be right in thinking that my USA Bassballs is true bypass?

Much obliged,
  2. kereney

Oct 5, 2005
    Hi everyone. I'd be very interested to know the answer to Marty's question too, so if anyone knows the answer! Cheers, Kez xx :bassist:
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'm 90% sure the USA BassBalls is True Bypass.

I'm interested in this also, I would like to True Bypass my Boss pedals (as well as others) So I hope someone can help.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The best way to do this is to build small bypass boxes yourself. With the complicated circuits that are in boss pedals, it's often very difficult to modify. There are a few places online that offer this service, but building bypass boxes and permanently mounting them to the pedal is the best bet. Or better yet, buy a Loooper.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BOSS Pedals are VERY complex, difficult to work with, and frankly, just about not worth converting to true bypass. Too much work and usually the effect isn't quite worth the time and effort. On the other hand, the parts will be very difficult to find and there is little to no room in there.

Your best bet would probably either to use a loooper, a true bypass box of some sort, or just deal with it as is. You also could rehouse your BOSS effect.
  7. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    This is what I was thinking of doing.
  8. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    well, the fact is that the boss bypass is theoretically better because it has a special buffer in it, so no signal loss and also a correction to eliminate capacitance from the guitar cable , in fact you'd be better of if you just kept the orignal bypass
  9. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Boss pedals don't have a 'special' buffer, really - it's just FET switching, and this has been done as much for cost and reliability reasons (cheap and electronic switching is more reliable than 'hardware' switching) as for 'tone'. However, it can happen that the FETs don't switch all the way on or off, and then there *is* signal loss (I've repaired a couple of Boss pedals where this had happened - the FETs needed replacing).

As others have suggested, an external bypass box or strip is probably the best all-round solution.
  10. All Boss pedals I've seen have a buffer before the FET switching signal is tapped off. It is true that the FET switching arrangement probably has an effect on the buffer though.
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is this to say, then, that one could replace their BOSS' FET switches with hand-selected ones that have a super-duper off/on ratio, or super-low on-resistance or whatever??

12. Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll have a look into the routes you've outlined. Last time I did any complex wiring was a few years ago now when I was it was complex wiring for a 14yr old...

I suppose a looper of some sort would be the easiest solution, what is it exactly? Like a line selector (it's probably just another word for it :ninja: )?

Cheers all,
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's pretty much the same thing as a line selector. You just set up loops of effects on it that you can switch in an out. Generally, you leave the effects on all the time, then just use the loooper to turn them on, but when they are turned off, they are completely out of the signal path.
  14. I would either look into a loooper:

or email Mike at

and ask him how much he would charge to do it, even if it can be done.
  15. burrencrawler

Jul 24, 2011
    I think as a few people have metioned the choices are these, and these only:
    1) Find out how to mod it yourself, which sounds very complicated.
    2) Send it to AnalogMike at which will be costly, and there is shipping costs too, and if you are outside the U.S. then forget it.
    3) Put it into a loop (with a loop switcher).
    4) Spend the money you would have spent modding it on a new & better pedal which has true bypass. There is lots out there better than Boss and they are true bypass too.

Look at Carl Martin, Z-Vex, Fulltone, Aguilar, Analog Man, The new Boss pedals like the tape echo one, the list is endless......
  16. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to options #3 & 4 above in post # 15. A bypass looper is the cheapest option, but in the long run, better pedals can be had.