1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

True Bypass Pedal makes a click when turned on, Bypass Looper to reduce noise????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by burtonisalive, May 5, 2006.

1. Ok, I have to ask this of anyone out there that could help. I have a pedal that I would like to use on occasion, and it is true bypass. But, I have a problem with when I click the button to turn it on. I makes an audible click whenever I step on the button to turn it on, especially if I am playing at the same time.

What I am looking for is anyone that may know if a bypass looper would keep me from running into this problem? If I connect the pedal through the looper and keep the pedal on, therefore solving the problem of the click that happens when I turn it on, would I still get a click from the bypass looper?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Robert Keeley bypass loopers? I have been interested in adding a couple to my board so that I could keep a few pedals from sucking my tone, and also allow me to activate two pedals at the same time.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Generally a "bypass looper" is just a true-bypass switch in a box. So you would probably have the exact same problem you do now. I don't know if there are any looper makers out there who use buffered switches instead of true bypass, but that would likely solve the problem.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Boss LS-2 should solve the problem since it is buffered.

4. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    Mod your true bypass pedal UNtruebypassed.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

A 1 megohm resistor between the 2 signal lugs shall solve the problem.

6. Welcome to the world of true bypass. Even with appropriate resistors wired as Jazz Ad suggests, there's still likely to be pops and clicks. Often it is not the pedal you're stomping on that is to blame, but another pedal up or down stream of it.

Solution is a switcher with a buffer, like the LS-2 or similar.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Radial Loopbone. Its expensive but will allow silent switching and a buttload of other features. Its about $200 Canadian.

8. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Sorry for exhuming this thread, but would the effects loop on the Radial bassbone (also the boost switch) be able to perform the same thing without that annoying pop? Anyone? thanks.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Yes!

Another option might be lehle.com