Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True bypass pedal mods

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Okay, I'm a big chicken- everytime it seems I want to do something "hands on" it seems I screw it up. I think I'm mechanically reclined.

Anyways, I have an old monsterous chrome Morley PWB and will be soon getting a matching VOL pedal. Guess I'm strange that way.

Anyways, the VOL has two "blanks" on the top of the frame where switches would be installed for other model pedals. I would like to install a true bypass switch in it. Also, the PWB has a switch on the left side top and a dial on the left side. The switch is to engage the boost, but that is a bit scary becasue the minimium boost it give is a whopping 40 dB and the max is 60 dB. :eek: So, I was thinking about taking that out and putting a bypass switch in it's place.

Now, Analogman charge $50.00 for this mod per pedal, so by the time I am completed I see an easy $125.00-$150.00 additional sunk into this. At that cosst, I'll buy a 4 Loooper, so I am thinking about attempting my first mods.

I have no idea where to start though (remember, mechanically reclined), so HELP! :hyper:

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. I'd be interested how to wire in a true bypass into my pedals(especially my russian Bassballs) as well.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do you want a LED to show it is on or not?

If yes, the easiest way is with a 3PDT switch. These are more expensive but easy to setup. You can also do it with a DPDT and the Millenium Bypass.

If you don't need a LED, just use a DPDT footswitch.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    OKay- this pedal is ran on AC though- will that make a difference?

EDIT: Ovey- this is WAY beyond my abilities! I thought is was a matter of installing a simple switch!

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, just be more careful.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah- this is way beyond my capabilities :(

I just way a bypass, no indicator. This has yo hand wiring a circuit board.

8. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It probably is easy. If you do not need the LED, you just need to wire in the DPDT switch. I would need a schematic of your pedal to give more info, but the basics are easy. I do not know the actual pedal, but assuming there is not already a switch the following should work.

First get a DPDT foot switch. A DPDT switch has 2 rows of three contacts. Lets call the rows A and B. It dosen't matter which row is A or B, just that you are consistant. Then in each row, lets number the contacts 1, 2, 3. Order is not important except that 2 must be the middle contacts.

Solder a wire from A3 to B3.

Unsolder the TIP from the input jack.
    Solder a wire from the TIP of the input jack to A2.
    Solder A1 to the wire that used to go to the input jack.

Unsolder the TIP from the output jack
    Solder a wire from the TIP from the output jack to B2.
    Solder B1 to the wire that used to go to the output jack .

Have a beer and let it rip :bassist: