Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True bypass stompbox... Does it exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brock29609, Jan 2, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I’d like to have one master bypass “box” to kick on an off to activate multiple stomp boxes at once. I’m assuming such a thing exists. Can someone direct me to a specific product that will do the trick. Nothing fancy, just an A/B switch that will take me from all effects to no effects with the click of a footswitch.

I know of A/B boxes like the Morley. Is that all I need? If so, how to I then combine A & B into one cable to send to my amp?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I believe they actually have boxes solely for the purpose of being a true bypass.

Code:
    [bass]-------[bypass box]--------------[amp]
                   |      |
                 [fx1]  [fx5]
                   |      |
                 [fx2]  [fx4]
                   |      |
                    -[fx3]-

It just takes a stomp of the switch to go from the effects channel to the hardwire bypass channel.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  4. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks! I'm a little confused because your diagram shows a box with 4 input jacks. The Loopers (and similar) all have 3.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm guessing this is what I need...

[​IMG]

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    There are several bypass boxes that will do the job for you.

ADL
    Loooper
    Analog Man
    Frantone
    Boss LS-2 (not exactly "true" but works fine)
    Pedal Racks
    Sobbatt
    Future Girl
    Lehle (new product for them)

I'm sure there are others, too. I use the Frantone Ingot, and it works great. I also use the Boss LS-2 in a pinch, and have not had any problems with it.

7. Sure....they make pedals for true bypass.
    (you can also do a search as this Q? has been asked before)
    I have one, its made by pedalboards.
    http://www.pedalboard.com/IBypass.htm
    Allows me to either use my pedal effects chain or not. Perfectly silent and no gain. Nice pedal
    (okay just checked their site, apparently they are making a switching pedal, and looping pedal, both are true bypass)
    frank

8. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Looks like I'll go with the Loooper. It's great how customizeable and cheap it is. Even get to pickup my color! I'm getting one with a tuner mute switch, then I can sell my rack mounted tuner.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Brock,

A bypass is a good idea, because a daisy-chain of pedals will surely suck your tone and degrade your signal level slighty.

I use a Morgan Miller bypass pedal just as portrayed Nick in his diagram. I just did a search for his site, and I wasn't able to find it. Some retailers carry his pedals, but I don't see the one that I bought a couple of years ago. Other brands will do the job.

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I didn't mean that the pedal had 4 inputs, I meant that you could chain the inputs together and put them into the pedal. So basically it switches between two channels. One channel is true bypass, the other channel is the effects chain. In my diagram, you could have any number of pedals in the chain, I just put 4 as an example.

11. Those things are pretty nifty. I have a few I built myself on my pedal board, it's funny, all it is is a single pole double throw on a footswitch. It goes through the loops and those little leds are pretty much a low watt lamp. Handy if you just want to touch up those tan lines. :rolleyes:

12. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I understand tone suck, but wouldn't bypassing it cause you to set the master level lower on your amp, causing a lower volume issue when you engage the effects loop again? What am I missing? It seems like you would really need one of these for every pedal, although I know that isn't reasonable. That is probably the reason people what true bypass mods on every pedal in their board.
    Wes

13. Actually true bypass is passive, as said before it's just a DPDT switch that switches the signal to two different routes. Much like a switch on a passive guitar or bass. True, stompboxes will either lower or raise your volume depending on the setting when active. But that's the point... True bypass is rigged up so the bypassed signal doesn't go through the components of the effects. Causing severe tone suck. Passive bypas neither adds, nor subtracts from signal integrity. Bypass boxes like that are just passive, the only thing that requires power is the led.