Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True-Bypass Wah Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aram, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Turning a Cry Baby into a true bypass pedal is a very simple mod.
    It's explained in detail on Fulltone's site.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Jazz Ad. I don't see any bass wah's on fulltone's site, though, and the ones they seem to offer now are the kind where they're activated by putting your foot on the pedal....are you sure those can be modified (some conflicting info in other threads).

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  5. Awesome! I'm going to do the vocal mod :cool:

EDIT - Wait, that's for the GBC-95 or whatever the guitar one is, will it work for bass?

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    My guitarist gave me the GBC-95 when he bought a new RMC
    :p

I'm going to do the vocal mod by adding a pot in series, I'll have a knob sticking out the side but it should be worth it. I'll know by the end of the week.

As for working on a bass version it seems they are almost the same thing based on this part of the article.

Lower range: The 0.01uF cap controls the frequency range. A lower value shifts the wah higher in frequency, while a higher value lowers it. To shift the wah downwards (using more of the woofy bassy wah sounds), try a 0.022uF cap here. If you come across a bass wah cheap, buy it - you only need to change this cap to turn it into a guitar wah (or the other way around)! The standard bass wah uses a 0.068uF cap in this position. (Thanks to Matt Parlane for providing the bass wah value.)