1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

True Bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RaszBasz, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Yo, I read the review of the Korg DT-10bk (guitar/bass tuner) and in the bottom the reviewer questioned if the pedal really had true bypass, and he did not think so. But now my question is if there is any guitar/bass tuner that has true bypass, .. PS: Don't know if there has been created a tuner only for bass?... Thanks in Advance!

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Peterson Strobostomp or whatever it's called. Also the planet waves pedal tuner claims to have a true bypass.

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Korg absolutely does not have true bypass.

4. http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=2

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PETVSS2

199,95 $

Yep, they do say they have 100% true bypass, :)

And the planet waves has a feature called "True Hard Bypass"
    But what the heck, is that a sellstrick or is there a difference between hard bypass and non-hard?! :confused:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PTWCT04

79,95 $

I must say that I'm looking for a normal tuner, and the planet waves seems affordable, but the question is if the 'hard' bypass means something ******,

Thanks Assboglin for mentioning different tuners +1

5. Okay, then I wont be buying the KORG, thankz Sonicvi!

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    why?

there's no tone suck or volume loss. ive used one for 2 years now and couldn't be happier. besides the peterson, you won't find a better pedal tuner than the korg. it's got the best accuracy.

7. I wouldn't skip the Korg just because it doesn't have true bypass. I would say that it is the best tuner in it's price range.

*edit* Mark! Korg wonder twin powers UNITE! Form of... good advice.

If Korg spends time and money to develop a pedal that is going to be off most of the time... I'd assume that their R&D team would focus on creating a damn good bypass.

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I'd definitely get the Korg unless you want something cheaper.

That being said, there are tons of different terms for "true bypass" in the industry, and Planet Waves isn't ripping you off or anything.

9. Hmm alright, It's just that I want my tuner to stay into my pedal-chain, and if it doesn't have true bypass, it would proberly kill the signal?

Thanks for the replies!

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    True bypass to a degree is becoming a marketing buzz word with pedals. I think if you can't hear an audible difference in tone or volume loss, then don't worry about it. I've actually heard some arguments against true bypass. One is that each non-true bypass pedal buffers your signal so that you don't have signal loss. I read that each TB pedal you run through is equivalent to a 20 ft cable run so the more TB pedals you have the more signal loss you get. This might not be entirely true but you just have to trust your ears, not the hype.

11. I keep my in my signal chain just like you want to do and I can hear no difference. Look up my thoughts of it in the "review" section of TalkBass.

The Korg is the most accurate and IMO has a better bypass than the Boss TU-2. (The biggest competitor to the Korg)

I give it two thumbs up and advise you to check it out.

...This coming from a true bypass freak!

12. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    About "True Bypass", I have been wondering does it matter if you use it through your effects loop? Forgive my ignorance but I hve never used effects pedals. My current pre is an EBS Microbass II and it has an effects loop. Thaks in advance
    chris

13. KeithBMI, by checking out another thread in TALKĀ“bass, the Ernie Ball VP JR seems to have a Tuner output, perhaps that would do the trick, lets say, even though that the KORG has no true bypass, and lets say, hypothetically that the KORG kills the signal freakin' much, then if it were combined with the EB VP JR, then it woulnd't be a problem? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Passive-Volume-Pedal?sku=152107&src=3SOSWXXA

14. Yes. I believe it is similar to the tuner out on most amp heads. Both keep the tuner out of the signal chain until you need it.

15. Not that this really helps any, but I remember seeing a page somewhere that explained what each of the different marketing terms meant... The guy had opened up various pedals marketed as true bypass, hard bypass, hardwired bypass, etc. to see what was in them. I want to say I found the link here, so maybe someone else remembers it...

Brian

16. Cool site. Thanks.

17. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah he is supporting what I had stated in my earlier post about how a true bypass signal is unbuffered and therefore your tone suffers from the long cable runs.

18. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I think GEOFEX has an article on different bypasses too.

It's good to have some GOOD buffers in your chain. However, so many are poorly designed, or made with low-quality or poorly-chosen (not chosen with wide-spectrum audio application in mind) components. That's why some buffers have volume loss, high-end rolloff, or even introduce distortion when the signal gets too hot(*cough*boss).

I personally only have one buffer in my chain - a DOD FX91. I like the way it works, and since that's an 'always on' pedal for me (very similar to the Sansamp in terms of making a small rig sound bigger), the buffer hasn't bothered me too much.

In any case, do what sounds good to you.

PS: It is possible to have true-bypass with relays, so the Korg and Planetwaves don't need a latching switch to be true-bypass, yah know ;).

19. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Peterson Strobostomp has a switchable (via dip switch) bypass.
    It can either be true bypass, in which case it mutes the signal when you stomp the switch to turn it on, or by flicking a dip switch, it can be left on at all times with no muting for full time monitoring. In the later mode it is not true bypass.

It is more accurate than the Korg by a factor of 10.
    Korg uses less power, and some like the led display better.

I don't think I would make a decision based upon whether or not it had true bypass, either... but the extra bypass output jack on the Korg DT10BK... is that jack not true bypass??