Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True Car guys help out a rookie

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Alright guys, I have a 1990 25th anniversary edition Mustang with 130,000 miles on it. It has an Automatic Tranny, and basically I'm bored with it. I've been cruising around doing alot of research, and it seems a big mod a lot of guys do to their Mustangs, is swap out the AOD for a stock T-5 transmission. Now I by no means claim to be a car genius. I love getting in their and tinkering with things, never taking them apart, just tinkering to see how they work. I would love to do one of these Tranny swaps though. Is anyone familiar with this kind of swap, and do you think I could do it? Most sites seem to say that the swap is fairly easy, but getting the old pedals out is just a little bit easier then getting the new ones in. Which isn't easy at all. Anyone think I can do it?

2. More than just a "swap" involved here. The situation will be surprisingly similiar to when I started with an automatic Mustang and turned it into a manual circle track racer. Here's what you'll need besides the tranny (expensive it it's own right)

- Flywheel
    - New starter
    - New driveshaft
    - Clutch pedal (stock - to mount under your dashboard)
    - Clutch cable
    - New transmission mount/crossmember

Besides this and the complete engine removal that would be required to do this project properly, there's not too much to it right? ;)

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Ditto. I looked at doing something like that once and it was quite a bit more of a challenge than one might think. Pain in the ass actually