1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

True Confessions of a Basement Bass Player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Buzz, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    (The thread title is a work in progress, much like my bass playing.)

In late 2003 I helped form a 4 piece pop/rock cover band.
    We started off with a few gigs here and there and suddenly things really began to take off. We weren't out to conquer the world. None of us golf or bowl so this was "our thing."

Right at the peak of this excitement our lead guitar players wife became very ill and he had to leave. It was devastating. We lost more than just a guitar player. We found subs for the remaining gigs and then sought an official replacement. Your boss may tell you everyone is replaceable, but I don't think that's always true. Chemistry is hard to replace.

With new members come new ideals, and the casual schedule we had all originally agreed upon was out the window and it just got to be too much. My "outlet" had suddenly turned in to a crappy part-time job and I had to leave what I had co-created, branded, marketed and loved. My last gig was in Nov. 2005.

During my time off, the band kept chugging along until it was basically run in to the ground and imploded. I auditioned for a couple of things here and there but nothing came of it. A while later I met a guitar player who wanted to start up a duo. He made drum tracks and we did about twelve gigs in about eighteen months and it gave me some perspective. It also kept me playing.

Something happened last October that I never thought would happen.
    All the original members from the 4 piece began talking and decided to get together once, just for fun. We didn't want to try and recreate the past, but rather see if there could be a future. Casual, no pressure. If a gig comes up and we can all do it fine.

This past Saturday we had our first "reunion" gig at a place we used to play. We rocked it hard and the crowd couldn't have been more receptive. I specifically made it a point to take it all in, have fun playing and appreciate that we were all lucky to have another chance to enjoy "our thing".

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    As I was reading, I was thinking, "why doesn't he get together with the guys he started with"?

Sure enough, happy ending.

Good story....keep on playing':bassist:

3. Thanks for the good story :hyper:

This mv is not exactly like your case and kind of sentimental/melodramatic, but...

I've started my first band 3 years ago.

I'm 43.

4. See, the thread title is entirely misleading...

If you'd said something like...

"nobody really likes me, nobody wants to play with me, and I'm actually kind of afraid of people, so I got this 20 year old Yamaha MT-1X 4 track tape recorder and I re-recorded all the bass lines to Metallica's '... And Justice For All' in my basement... now I totally rule. I'll rule even more if I could find someone to give these cassettes to..."

THAT'S the real true confessions of a basement bass player.