1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

True full range 410 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Mar 8, 2008.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I keep hearing about 410 cabs that are so full range no other additional cabs are needed.
    Then a day or two goes by, and here on the forum someone that has one of these "full range" cabs is asking what they should add to get more highs or more lows.
    Is there truly a cab that is full range and can stand as a stand alone cab?

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Epifani UL410....highs, lows, mids, it's ALL there.

3. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Acme Low 4B. Uncolored full range tone.

4. I think that should be Low B4. Aside from that nitpick I agree wholeheartedly!

Paul

5. Id say most 410s are full range.

You just get some people who want more low end ontop of that, or a bit of a different tone in there too. Personal preference and all that.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    410s are great.
    As a single cab, you can't miss with something like a Bergantino HT-322. You get 1x12, 2x10 + horn in 1 package that has perhaps the same dimentions as a 410. TRULY full range!

It weighs a lot tho

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Acme Low-B4 really does it all (and thanks to being sold direct costs half what it should!)

Alex

8. Eden D410XST will do it (not the XLT).

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    The new genz benz uber 410 may be a possibility.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I haven't ever heard a 410 that's truly "full range". Not in the sense that a good hi-fi or PA is full range. Hi-fi systems and PAs use multiple driver sizes for a reason.

That said, for bass playing I've heard 410s that have plenty enough low end or high end for a lot of players, depending on the sound you're really after. Personally, I prefer a combination of a 15 with 10s and a tweeter.

11. +1 Al! Anytime I've heard someone playing through one of these, I really notice how good it sounds. Tight, well articulated bass, clear mids and highs, no harshness.

P.S. Al, it's good to see you over here on TB.

12. There would be no reason to every need to add 'more highs' or 'more lows' with a well built and tuned modern two way 410 IMO.

However, in very, very loud playing situations a single 'anything' will eventually run out of room and start to compress. I believe that is what spurs many of the 'I need to add another cab to a 410' comments. IMO, from my experience with many 410's, an additional 410 in that situation would give you more lows than any single 15 cab on the bottom.

If low end extension is your primary goal, I agree that the Acme 410 goes as deep as any cab I've ever heard (18, 15, whatever). If upper end sparkle is key, that would not be my choice, and a cab like the Epifani410UL or the Eden410XST (if you didn't mind the weight) is a nice balance of plenty of usable low end and also lot's of mid punch and sparkle up top. IMO.

13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If you want a traditional rock tone, but with a modern full-range, I'd suggest an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. IME, it's got a great balance of lows, highs, and mids for rock.

14. Over the past year, I've tried several different configurations, trying to find the single cab solution. (15' three-ways, neo 1x12' two-ways, 2x12" full range, etc.

I keep going back to my SWR Goliath III. To my ears, this cab has deep, round lows, punchy mids and more than enough highs for my ears. I've stated before that I played for over thirty years using some form of multiple 15"s, and was always satisfied with my tone. After I turned fifty and discovered Talkbass (and the GAS that comes with it) my quest was to find that elusive supercab. You know, powerful, wide-range, light and as compact as possible! Bear in mind that there are many brands and models touted on this forum that I've never played or have very little experience with. For instance, Bergantino, Epifani,etc. Actually, playing through a friend's Peavey 4x10 raised my interest in that form, so I auditioned the G III and Ampeg HLF as well as the Peavey.

Bought the G III, as it seemed to have all the tonal characteristics I wanted without breaking up. I was very impressed with the low end in particular!! The only drawback is the weight at 89 lbs. I can't speak for the new G IV which seems to be very similar except for the incorporation of Eminence drivers rather than the PAS tens used in the III series.

When I have the spare time and money, I'll contiue my quest for a lower weight, compact alternative, but until then, the Goliath III will get to do the larger sized gigs as long as I have some help at load in/out, LOL!

BTW, I will give a lot of credit to the Dr Bass 1260 Slantface. When ordering, my intentions were to use it for light jazz, small venue applications. I've found that this little box will do much more than that. I don't think it'll match the 4x10 cab, but it will keep up with it a lot further than I initially thought!!

15. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    if your primary concern is sound quality, weight and outright SPL being of lesser concern, then the Glockenklang Bass Art Classic is a fine choice.

BABoxF.

[​IMG]

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1