Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True Funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Show of hands, who here thinks that Funk consists only of slapping and popping? That's the impression that I'm getting. "Tommy The Cat" by Primus and say, "Eyes Water Fallin" by Level 42, albeit great slap bass songs are NOT funk. Mandrill, one of the funkiest bands in history, rarely had a slapped bassline. The first thing a person under the age of 25 does is start slapping the minute someone mentions funk. It runs SO much deeper than your thumb. It's from the heart! Bass Player mag will state this, but then contradict themselves down the road. As a child of the '70's who grew up in the inner city, I've heard and seen of THE funkiest bands ever, and the majority of them didn't have slapped basslines.
    Examples:
    Flea - Not funk, fonky maybe, but not FUNKY. There's a difference that we'll get into later;)
    Stu Zender - Funky
    Mark King - See "Flea"
    Pino Palladino- Funky
    Les - See "Flea"
    Fieldy - Not
    Ryeknow - No, although I've heard tapes of his pre-Mudvayne days, and he can be.
    Andrew Levy - Funky
    Prince - Funky
    Rocco - Please, if you don't know by now, shame on ya!
    Get the point?

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm not familiar with all of the artists you mention, but I agree with your point. Funk has a lot to do with rhythm, feel, soul, and groove, and it does not much matter what technique one uses to achieve it. One of my favorite versatile bassists is Nathaniel Phillips of Pleasure. He can do it all. Let's not forget James Jamerson of Motown - never slapped at all (as far as I know) and was one of the funkiest bassists who ever lived.
    - Mike

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't remember hearing any slapped lines in James Brown's music. He's the funkiest dude in the multiverse.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Nathaniel Phillips was AMAZING! Listening to songs like "Get Some Dirt On You", "Let's Dance" or even a ballad like "Thoughts Of Old Flames", you can't help but, be amazed. And of course, there's "Glide"! Nathan Watts also did some great stuff with Stevie.

5. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I think you state the truth. The statement you make though, it true, Primus is not as funk band. Neither are the Chili peppers, or Korn. The BNH (Andrew Levy) are a funk band, as are Jamiroqui, Tower of Power, Prince, etc.

Funk is not about slapping, but you can slap in funk. Marcus is funky on ballads!:D

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm with you all the way on this one. I would make a distinction that Mark King is certainly Euro-Funk, but not Funk.

I'm listening to the Headhunters right now, and Paul Jackson definitely falls under the category of Funky.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Don't forget people like Bootsy Collins and George Porter Jr. These guys were funky and didn't slap.

8. Oh geeeeesh Warwicknut look what you started now !!!!

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah Man...George Porter Jr. is Mr. Funk in my book.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, yeah. A friend of mine just gave me a copy of a cd of the Meters playing a record release party for Wings on the Queen Mary. Amazing stuff. He is the man.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I didn't wanna name the obvious people like Mitch (Ohio Players), Mr. Mark (Slave), Aaron Mills (Cameo), Freddie Washington, Randy Jackson, Bernard Wright, Wimbish, etc. As well as unknown guys in bands like Chocolate Milk, Mighty Ryeders, Sun, LA Connection, Kleer, Brass Construction, the guy from KC & the Sunshine Band (Don't laugh, listen to the stuff he did with Jimmy Bohorne), Fatback Band, etc.

12. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think its important for the younger players to make the distinction between funk and slapping early on. I slap alot, but most of it is not funky, it is just another technique I use to play aggressive music.

13. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I gotta disagree with you about Mark king. Level 42 is not a funk band, but that guy is funky as hell. Listen to a tune live "physical Presence" from World machine. There's a groove, and not a slap in sight.

Or "Good Man In a Storm" same album. Mark Has Funk like a Detroit Black man! (and i can say that cause i'm black):D

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Funking Ugly!!!

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is so true. Slapping can be VERY unfunky. I read somewhere that Korn were funk-metal!

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rocco! Dat's some o' dat way down between your toes, hadn't warshed yo feet in 3 months kinda funk!!!:cool:

17. embellisher

That is sacreligious! Someone put the cretin who wrote that to death! Off wit' 'is 'ayd!

18. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    PREACH! Git down.

What about Nathan Watts man? He's been playing with Stevie Wonder for years and he's a funky-ass mofo.

19. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Yeah, but it's gotta be intimidating to play bass with a keyboardist who created some of the funkiest basslines ever..............

20. embellisher

Yeah, Stevie is one of the funkiest bassists ever too, and the funkiest that doesn't actually play bass.:cool: