True Funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. I used to think Funk = Slap....

Then I listened to Stu Zender on some Jamiroquai albums. I was trying to find a word to describe his playing to my friend, and all I could come up with was "funky as hell."

So after about 3.5 years of non-serious playing, I finally made the distinction. Now I look forward to learning how to funk....slapping will come later!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I mentioned Nathan earlier. How about Willie Weeks with Donny Hathaway Live?

3. What am i hearing??? OK, Some of u make good points but just because someone slaps or isnt in a funk band doesnt mean they cant be funky. I listen to a lot of parliament and james brown. I know what funk is. Flea may not really be in a funk band, and he may slap constantly, but he is definately funky. Also Funkadelic had quite a bit of SLAP.

4. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Not that I'm taking a position on RHCP, but wasn't George Clinton involved with them early on? Producing or something???

I do some slapping but it's not funky at all in most cases. The fingerstyle and even banjo style things I've done sound funkier to me. It all depends on how the drummer and I play off of one another.

5. Slap in itself is not funky. Just like simple basslines aren 't funky.

BUT

They can be MADE funky.

Tower of Power funks the place up. I forgot who said this, but it was someone from TB...

"They can slap the hell outta the bass, but if you tell them to make the funk so funky you have to take a shower afterwards, they can't do crap" or something along those lines.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    HooooAhhhh! Best live album ever! Unbelievably good fingerstyle funk, and a good example to listen to where EVERYBODY in the band is a funk monster. Should be required listening.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    RHCP has always cited George Clinton as a major influence. Also, & I'm drawing a blank here...was it P-Funker Dwayne 'Blackbird' McKnight that BRIEFLY played guitar with the Peppers? This woulda been pre-Mothers Milk.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gone but NOT forgotten.
    RIP, Bernard.

9. George Clinton produced the Chili Pepper's second album. I would say the Peppers are funk-influenced but not "funk".

10. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Not completely true. Mr. Jackson played "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan. Slappin like Ike Turner......

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Didn't he also play on "What You Gonna Do For Me"? More Ike! :D

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm gonna have to re-visit those Chaka tunes...I don't recall any slap/pop on either "I'm Every Woman" or "Whatcha Gonna Do For Me", though the original version of "Whatcha..."(AWB)does have some popping going on.

Speaking of AWB, some Funk that'll hurt ya can be had on tunes like "Love Your Life" & "Your Love Is A Miracle"...both of these tunes fall into the collective Funk thang, it's the group interplay between all the members that makes 'it'.
    The bass figures on these tunes, for the most part, sound pretty simplistic(it's WHERE the notes fall), the guitars are performing 2 tasks...one plucks out a staccato-Funk figure, the other plays some sorta upbeat pattern. The drummer(Steve Ferrone)reeks of Funk...the horns dart here & there.

More 'old skool' Funkateers-
    Larry Graham
    Louis Johnson
    Lequient "Duke" Jobe
    ...& they Slapped/Popped! ;)

A couple more Funky muthers out there today-
    Oteil Burbridge
    Gary Willis

BTW, I picked up Funk by Dave Thompson today(George Clinton is on the book's cover). I have only browsed through it...I have already lernt sumthin', though-
    The band Galactic was originally called Galactic Prophylactic.
    Now that makes sense! :D

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey WarwickNut-
    Every time I see your avatar, I feel the urge to e-mail Paul an image of The Beatles' White Album...to be used as my 'new' avatar. ;)

(Or just pretend the Flyers' logo isn't really there!)

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Ah AWB! Man I love Hamish Stewart and the guys, but you gotta mention "I'm The One". Great tune, especially live. Whatcha Gonna...." does have some slapping in it. Speaking of funk, how about the stuff Rick James did for Tina Marie? Whoooo! "Square Biz" is one of THE funkiest basslines in history! And of course, there's Lakeside, Con Ffunk Shun, Mass Production, 8th Wonder, Taste Of Honey, man I could go on for days!
    Look at funk on the jazz end. Roy Ayers, Freddie Hubbard with "Red Clay", Crusaders, The Black Byrds, etc.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Hey htag, we were posting at the same time! I understand what you mean about AJ. I saw Marcus live, and he did some things I always thought were slapped, but he fingered them. Kind of like the technique you described.

16. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    But Square biz is slapped!:D

Nah, I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE that bassline. I'm just giving you a hard time.

AWB had an album called "Feel No Fret" that was the baddest, but no one bought it but me i think. If you get their greatest hits, though, it has "when will you be mine" on it. Just a nasty, greasy, chitlin eatin groove.
    Like" if you want me to stay"

And what about "What is hip?" TOP had the funk!!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    One of the best basslines Rick James played was actually a synth bass, but it was banging! It was the bassline for "Candy Man" by the Mary Jane Girls.
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson's "Real Mutha Fro Ya'" album DEFINATELY goes down as a funk classic too.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, I would MUCH rather listen to finger-style funk players than "slap funk" players. Slapping REALLY gets old for me, especially when it's very UNfunky (FLEA, for example!).

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    What I'm about to say is gonna get me banned from this thread, but speaking of Will Lee, his playing on "Copacabana" floored me! That is a GREAT bassline! I'll pack my things now, and leave quietly. I ,I, I don't want no trouble.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...you're joking, right? I've bought it twice...vinyl & cd; the cd has some Bonus material(The David Foster-penned/produced stuff from Volume VIII). The cd version of Warmer Communications also has added tracks.
    I have never seen cds of either Shine or Cupid's In Fashion...way back, I dug both(especially Shine), NOW, they're a little 'schmaltzy'/too much '80s(too much Foster-esque production for my ears).

WW-
    I like "I'm The One"(one of the few tunes I could use a Mu-Tron on effectively!). ;)
    The Crusaders' *best* line-up(IMO)had Pops Powell on bass; Images is one bad Funky/R&B/jazzy album...
    I like Con Funk Shun("Ffun"); saw them open for Johnny "Guitar" Watson back in the late '70s.

The Blackbyrds-
    Check out "Supernatural Feeling"(sorry, "I've forgotten the album title; the cover is a shot of the group lining up for a race).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021