True Funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know the album. It also has "Soft and Easy: on it. Was called "Out Of The Blocks"? or something to do with racing? BTW, in the Soft & Easy" video, they actually run the race.

2. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    H heard that. I heard that, man! are you making fun of barry manilow? huh? Don't do dat, man! Barry manilow is a musical genius! That Sh*t ain't funny man! (with apologies to Eddie murphy):D

3. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Hamish ruled! I love what he did on "Queen Of My Soul". Everything he sang, you could tell it was coming from deep within.

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Has anyone of you heard some stuff from T.M. Stevens solo CD(s)? I haven't but I have read he himself calls it funk-metal. Sounds interesting to me.

6. george clinton and parliament funk.. theres the funk music.

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey, the man said it himself -- "My name is Prince and I am funky."

What about Rick James and Bootsy?! Don't know if there was a lot of slappin' and poppin' goin' on, but they are definately funk-a-delic, baby!

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah. Seems to me that a lot of white musicians in the British Isles have really done well with soul, moreso than stateside (IMO). They still are, as far as I'm concerned. While we were loving the "British Invasion", seems they were digging our Motown and Philly sounds. In all fairness, though, at least a couple of white singers here did pretty well: Al Anderson (Wild Weeds and NRBQ) and Felix Cavaliere (The Rascals) come to mind.

Anyway, this is not talking about bass, so back on subject Mikey! Slightly - somebody talked about keyboard/synth bass funk lines. Check out Paul Hardcastle (speaking of across the ocean). He's a pretty awesome synth guy - and he did the instruments on D-Train's "You're The One For Me" and others.
    - Mike

9. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Now, I didn't know that!! I loved D'train. The Rainforest is one of may faves too. Anyone remember "the Smurf" or "Sticky Situation" by Tyrone Brunson?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Tyrone was also a wicked bass player. Listen to his quick octave snaps on "Sticky Situation". Speaking of the British singers, don't forget Jason Kaye of Jamiroquai. Another group I'd have to mention is Freeze for "Pop Goes My Love". As for the Philly scene, this is gonna throw people for a loop, but who out there remembers The Futures out of Philly?:eek: Their hit song was called "Ain't Got Time Fa Nuthin'", amazing song!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sure... I remember;)

How funky do you guys wannna get?

Dyke and the Blazers "We Got More Soul". This song epitomizes old school Funk as well as anything JB ever did IMO.
    AWB "Schoolboy Crush"
    The Meters "Cissy Strut" (check out the drums).
    King Floyd "Groove Me"
    James Brown... too many to list but "Sex Machine" "Say it Loud..." "Cold Sweat" "I Got the Feelin' " immediately come to mind.
    (early) Kool & the Gang... several but just go to "Funky Stuff (they call him "Funky" George Brown for a good reason)
    Mandrill... several but start with "Fencewalk". "Peck ya Neck".. anybody remember "Don't Mess with People"

For slap Funk I don't think it got any better than Nathaniel Phillips. Then...
    (early) Cameo (Aaron Mills... damn)
    The Gap Band (Robert Wilson)

I'm obviously missing a lot more but there's a good start;)

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    "Just Wanna Make Love" - Sun
    "Say Won't Cha" - Chocolate Milk
    "Evil Vibrations" - Mighty Ryeders
    "Hobobobboglibbin" - Bernard Wright
    "Let Your Mind Be Free" - Brother To Brother
    "Funk n Roll" - Sweatband
    "Adventures In The Land Of Music" - Dynasty
    "Stone Jam" - Slave
    "B Movie" - Gil Scott Heron
    "Me And Baby Brother" - War
    "Boogie Woogie" - Fatback Band
    "Livin' It Up" - Mandrill
    "Indescreetly" - Michael Henderson
    "Misdemeanor" - Sylvers
    "Power" - E,W, & F
    "Outlaw" - War
    "Runnin From The Devil" - Ohio Players
    "Riding High" - Faze-O
    "Street Player" - Rufus
    "Still Smoking" - Trouble Funk
    "Universal Thang" - Pleasure
    "Don't Cha Wanna" - Shotgun
    Cheek to Cheek" - Kay Gees

How's that?;)

13. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Good list! I haven't heard them all, but you have some good ones. I recently heard Henderson's "Going Places" - what a nice (and funky) bass line! I'm going to look for the recording.
    - Mike

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Good point. A lot of Funks appeal wasn't just the singles it was the albums.

We did a Funk gig last Friday night ("Funky Stuff", "Fencewalk", AWB, etc.) for a younger crowd, it was pretty interesting watching the reaction to some of the music, some of which hadn't been heard before.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Michael Henderson also played a mean bass!

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some AWB trivia from Thompson's book, Funk-

"In Dec. '72, AWB won an unexpected(if anonymous)hit backing Chuck Berry on the UK #1 "My Ding-A-Ling".

What?!

"Pick Up The Pieces" began as a jam(no kidding); the chant in that tune was supposed to be "Pick Up The Peas"...in homage to James Brown's "Pass The Peas".
    Regarding "Cut The Cake", yet another James Brown-type of groove:
    "Utterly unflattered by such tributes, Brown himself responded by re-mixing & overdubbing a '71 JB's rhythm track, "Hot Pants Road", & releasing it as "Pick Up The Pieces One By One" under the name AABB(the Above Average Black Band)".

:D

...and I'm guilty myself; I 'wrote' an AWB-type groove/tune & dubbed it "Picked Up A Piece".

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...as long as he stayed in his comfort zone! ;)

Henderson also played in one of Miles' better electric outfits(I really recommend Paul Tingen's Miles Beyond, a book that deals with the oft-neglected ELECTRIC period of Miles Davis).
    Anyway-
    Henderson is the bassist on Tribute To Jack Johnson...the first tune is a lenghty boogie jam that John McLaughlin kicks off in "E". A couple minutes in, McLaughlin modulates to "Bb"...Henderson, meanwhile, plods along in "E": He missed the change.
    Miles allows this bi-tonality 'trainwreck' to continue...eventually, Miles enters & plays a "C#(Db)" & nudges Henderson to the "Bb".

One of my favorite quotes from Tingen's book-
    Regarding Henderson, Keith Jarrett said: "He doesn't know Jazz; he's from Motown". ;)

BTW, Henderson sounds even better & more confident on the latter LIVE recordings-
    Agharta & Panagea.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    LOL!!!! As long as he did his, Norman Conners, and Phyllis Hyman's material, he was fine!
    James did his share of musical thievery. Remember "Gimmie Your Lovin'"? Total rip off of Bowie's "Fame".

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Do you mean "Hot (I Need to Be Loved, Loved, Loved)"?

20. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    definition of funk.......
    (here goes)

when u play a truly FUNKY bassline, its a bassline that makes u want to go....just...its....
    bollox, i cant put my finger on it, but..you know what i mean!

examples:
    jamiroquai :travelling without moving, hightimes.
    RHCP: i like dirt, all around the world
    alien ant farm :attitude

when i play these songs, my heart hits my throat.
    great funk....slapped or fingered ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021