True Funk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 14, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whew! The Gonzalez cd arrived today...guys, after 1/2 a listen, I'm stoked. Damn, who are these guys?!
    From the liner notes, the band is more of a collective than a band, per se. People came & went...regardless of who's in the band, they kick some ass.
    The bassists are John Giblin, Lisle Harper, & Larry Steele. NO PHIL CHEN(as advertised!), though drummer Richard Bailey plays on 9 of the 13 tracks.

The liner notes also say-
    "...reminiscent of a slightly more Latin Tower Of Power or AWB". No argument from me. There's also a hint of a Mandrill vibe(especially on the Latin-esque Funk side-o-the-fence).
    Apparently, this Gonzalez DEBUT disc(from '74) was only issued in the UK...the '80s 'rare groove' craze kinda made their stuff 'popular' again.
    Personally, I had never heard of this band until about a week ago...where was I?! ;)

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021