Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

true-ing glue joints

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sethdavidson, Sep 6, 2002.

1. sethdavidson

sethdavidson

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm preparing to build a neck-through bass from scratch. I'm actually wondering how hard it is to the get the neck laminations even enough to get a good solid glue-up(I guess the same goes for the side wings). Are there any effective methods I could use without breaking the bank on a expensive power tool? thanks in advance,

Seth

2. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Hi
    See if you can find a joinery shop with a sliding table or panel saw with a fine blade. Your timber is clamped to the table and pushed through the saw , its perfectly straight and the join is usually invisible.
    I use this method in my work often when I'm building furniture , bench tops etc

cheers

3. I am lucky enough to have a good friend with a cabinet shop, I run my stuff through his jointer but the last fingerboard I bought seemed to be a little dished out in the middle of the G string side so I made a sanding block with a handle that is 3” by about 22 “ out of some hard maple I had laying around. I ran this through my friend’s jointer to get the surface dead flat then glued a belt from a belt sander onto it. If you are using milled wood it should be fairly flat on the front and back surface try to use these surfaces if you can. If you have to use edges say by using one wing on each side of the neck it can be tough with out a jointer even a jointer hand plane can run $80.00 and up.

There is a technique where they place the jointer plane on a flat work surface mounted on its side so that the blade is 90 degrees to the table, it looks like a table saw fence. With the face of the wood flat on this table they run the edge against the plane getting a flat edge that is 90 degrees or square to the face of the board. You might be able to do something like this with a large sanding block like I mentioned above.

If you are trying to keep your cost down the best way would be to find some one with the proper tools.

Good luck.