Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True Life Reason To Hate Guitar Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Nov 25, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Last night we had a gig at a very small club. So small in fact that only 4 people came. Well, it was the holidays and on top of that, the show had NO advertising (big thanks to a certain someone). Anyway, we were going to play both nights. Our guitar player at the end of the first set, yanked his cord and said that the show was over. He did not consult me, the drummer, or the manager. He just walked. He said he felt no energy in the room. The jerk then apologized to the club owner and said that he can't play anymore tonight because the band is lacking energy and motivation and the crowd was too small. Well, after we left, the drummer's girlfriend overheard the 4 people talking. They were pissed because we were leaving. They really liked us she said. She even overheard them talking about brining their friends the next night. Now all they are going to do is trash talk us. And I don't blame them a bit. We get no apology from the guitarist. He thinks he is God and can do whatever he wants. Well, the manager quit. The drummer and I refuse to speak to him. He even called this morning wanting to practive some new songs he wrote. **** HIM!!!!!!

note from moderator:
    LANGUAGE!:mad:
    Will C.:cool:

[Edited by Big Wheel on 11-25-2000 at 05:33 PM]

2. hate to be a ninny, but this is a scary post, you are probaly going to crash the talkbass server once the replys start :D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So is the dork still in the band?

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Guitar gods like Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Yngve(Sp?) Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, Tommy Iommi, BB King, Alex Lifeson, Vince Gil, Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny, etc. can be forgiven if they ever have a spell of acting like egotistical prima donnas, because their talent and accomplishments are well documented, their work is widely recognized and applauded. But, give me a break...a no name guitarist with no known body of work or any proven track record on the stage or in the recording studio. Please. How presumptuous and how ridiculous! Your buddy needs to put in a lot more mileage before he can credibly act like a rock guitar idol. Right now he just looks like a rock guitar jerk.

Jason Oldsted

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You left out Lee Ritenour.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    that's not a reason to hate guitar players...it's a reason to hate a**holes. Like that one.

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If that situation happened in my band, that guitar player would have been fired that night! There are way too many guitar players in the world to put up with that crap.

Also, that guy sounds like he would be a jerk no matter what instrument he plays. With no regard for anyone else in the band, you'll be much better off without him.

(P.S. Playing to a small crowd may be a little blow to the ego of the band, but it can also turn into a paid rehearsal with the freedom to get a little experimental if you want :) .)

8. SFB

SFB Guest

I agree with SLATER.In my area every one wants to play lead.
    They learn a few power chords and think they are Gods.Very few bassists around here.That man needs a reality check.When
    you make a commitment to intertain and then don't you are showing people your word is crap.Just remember THE SHOW MUST GO ON no matter what.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he should be glad he's not in my band. he'd be walking funny if he was.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hed have a bad case of Conklin-butt, eh John? :eek: :D

11. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Aye. John's got enough of those that he could spare one to teach a guitarist a lesson. =)

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Or he could line them up back to front and take like 10 out with a single shove of the beast.

Wait, er...:eek:

13. Hey JWC,not all guitarists suck!!! Just find another and tell the new guy what you won't tolerate.Set reasonable guidelines and stick to them,change them only when it is beneficial.Guitfiddlers are a dime a dozen,but good,mature,talented players are a challenge to find and keep.I'm sure there is one out there.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heck yeah, impale 'em! :D

15. I didn't know Conklins were so dangerous.

16. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    Didn't you know? A Bassist and his Conklin is the most dangerous weapon in the world. :cool:

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I ran into a guy like that once. I backed the car up, and hit him again.....

18. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Your story reminds me of a similar situation where an entire band refused to play.

My band was scheduled to open for a band called MASS (remember them?). We packed our stuff into our trucks and drove the hour to get there. The MASS stage set-up was already completed and we put our stuff in front of theirs. The crowd was relatively small but we put our all into the set. We kicked ass and gained some new fans who had come to see MASS (one couple drove from CT which was 2 hours away).

Well, MASS refused to go on! They said there werent enough people in the club to play for and they wouldnt make enough money! Everybody was furious. These guys were all set up and ready to play but wouldnt just cuz they were dikheds. I used to like that band but now I HATE them!

19. The son of John T. has spoken.

20. i would agree that one of those large Conklins would do some damage but if we are talking impaleing i have to suggest the B.C. Rich Beast