1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

True oil question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassclef216, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hey guys...need some advice on a project. I am re-finishing the neck and headstock on a Guitar Fetish P bass. I did a true oil finish and made a new waterslide decal for the headstock. I applied the decal now I want to cover it with something, I just don't know what. Should I do a couple true oil coats over it, or can I do some spray lacquer or spray poly? I'm just not sure what will work well with the true oil. Any help would be great. :help:

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I've used nitro over Tru-oil by misting 3-4 coats of nitro, let dry, then apply wetter coats to bury the decal. Let cure for 1 week, then wet sand to level. FYI, You can't used Tru-oil over nitro as the nitro will continue to gas off and cause delamination of the finish. JMHE

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Tru-Oil over the decal will work fine.

4. Is this true if the waterslide decal is pre-coated with an acrylic lacquer? The reason I ask is because the decals I want to get have the lacquer coating and the Birchwood Casey website says that tru-oil is not compatible with lacquer.

Thanks.

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    You might call them to see if it is acrylic or nitrocellulose lacquer with which it is incompatible. Might be one, might be both.

I recently tested polyurethane (minwax high-gloss rattle can from Home Depot) over tru-oil, and it adhered fine and didn't cause any adhesion problems, burning, cancer, or civil war.

6. I've got a request into them. Their FAQ says it's acrylic lacquer. Think that will work?

I ultimately want to get a neck that's got a satin/aged look rather than the high gloss look. Maybe there is another process other than tru-oil? I'll be using an unfinished Warmoth neck.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Have you thought about a wenge neck? It's a nice feeling neck wood, and it doesn't need any finish.

8. I have thought about a Wenge neck for one of my 54 P-Bass projects. For this particular project though, I want to stick with maple.

They reponded to me nd said there is a protective coat of acrylic lacquer. Maybe the spray nitro mentioned above would be a good alternative?