True or False: No Home Is Complete Without A Pet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Aug 14, 2004.

1. This is for my English assignment; I have to write an argument or an opinion piece. I'm pretty sure that no home is complete without a pet, but I can't figure out a good argument to back that up with.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Is this a five minute argument or the full half-hour?" :D
  2. I think that you can have a complete home without a pet. Society envisions a complete home as one with a husband and wife, two kids and a pet, but I don't think the pet is a prerequisite. My brother has a wife and kids and no pet and his home is complete. That being said, I love pets and will definitely have one when I'm on my own.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    if you are allergic to fur and feather, then having a pet around wont make the house feel complete or full, you'l just feel that your nose is full ;)

I love animals, but I have strong allergy, as well... :(

Homes can be complete without pets, imo.
    And why keep pets? Just for your own fun. That is a bit egoistical, but we human are the most egoistical animals on this planet, so we rarely notice it.
    By keeping a pet, you are limiting their freedom for your amusement.
    And how sad are you when your pet dies?
  4. Well, for me, fish don't offer much companionship and that seems to be what makes the pet a part of the completeness of the home. But hey, if you like fish, go for it!
  5. Reasons why a home is complete due to having pets:

1) Pets have been shown to help reduce stress. Thus, when you hate everyone in your family, you can still love your pet.

2) You can choose your pet, you can't choose your family. Thus, you can choose to have a living creature in your house that you actually want there.

3) If you train your pet well, you can get it to bite said persons you don't like.

4) While your family may not great you with open arms when you come home, chances are your pet always will (especially when hungry).

5) Animals are nicer than people.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Like fish are very interactive - would be the same if I watched them on TV...
    But for them, they are caged in, they are in an uncomfortably ssmall place with lots of others, cramped together
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If you like animals, and want one, then your home is not complete. If you do not want an animal, and you do not have one, then your home is complete. I don't really see the issue.
  8. Don't be difficult. I want an A for this. An A, dammit! :D
  9. Why Pets suck
    by Stefani "The Yellow Dart" Dawe

Most people are thinking, "Hey, a pet, thats pretty friggin awesome". But no. They neither help nor complete the whole home/house/faimly/trailor. They make it worse, much worse.

For instance, Lets say Betty Jo was in a fight with her mother, father, and all 11 of her siblings. Whats the least things she wants to do right now? Thats right, clean up a dog/cat/guinea pig/chinchilla/hamster/horses/lizards/goldfish's dirty nasty smelly poo. And yes, goldfish do poo. And it is dirty nasty and smelly.

And now your thinking "Hey, isnt a pet supposed to relive stress?" Well you're wrong again, go back to school. Animals caus stress what with walking, feeding,, and a whole bunch of other stuff you're going to think of on your own time.

I would tell you alot of more cool facts and word puzzles but the government says I can't so no. Thank you, and goodbye all you crazy pet-lovers who want to marry a horse when you grow up.

Now add that to some douple, perhaps triple spacing, and you got a good paper. Your welcome.
  10. It's false. All the Dude ever needed was a rug.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It really tied the room together.
  12. I got a cat, he's cute and cuddly and 13 years old now, all I do is fill up his bowl twice a week and his water jug thing once every few weeks, he poops outside. I love him.
  13. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You can have a perfectly happy home without a pet but, if it's an argument you want to make, definitely go with the "unconditional love" one for sure; Your pet doesn't care if you're fat or if you didn't put the toilet seat down, whatever.

You might also want to mention pet therapy and how useful that is in hospitals and nursing homes etc. Tie that angle in with a household setting and you're sure to get some points.

14. Nickname still cool! +5
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What tied the room together, Dude?
  16. All the pet lovers can come take my pets away, I don't need thems to feel like I'm at home. I would appreciate a mail order bride much more. Even if she doesn't speak english I'm sure she could express a need for food without making horrible whining sounds or putting muddy paws all over the outside of my freshly painted house.

A fish would be kinda' cool, though...
  17. It's always good if you don't actually answer the question. E.g.:

"A home is never complete."

"How do you define 'complete'?" (Morpheus style)
  18. Does anybody know a reliable source of mail order brides? I'm so lonely..... :help:

Geesh, how did I know that? :help: