True temperament frets, is this gonna be a thing now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whil57, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    Supposedly, these crooked frets help to keep perfect intonation, according to the builder. And some kind of auto tuning pegs. This is just way to OCD to me, real perfect pitches can sound a little sterile. This is a guitar neck, but i'm sure people will jump on the wagon. They always do. Wobble fret.jpg

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Anything you do enough times becomes "normal".

REMBO and Leiria like this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Those have been around for a while. Doesn’t seem to be trending as something people are demanding. Though, they are, evidently, still available as an option.

4. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada
    ive seen it here and there, Fredrik Thordendal from meshuggah has a swedish made 8 string guitar with the frets set up in this manner

5. For all that musicians are credited as being "creative" types always looking to push boundaries,when it comes to instruments they must be among the most traditionalist folks going. Fanned frets, graphite necks, optical pickups all are "things" ignored by the majority of folks. I expect this will join those "things"

wmmj, PsyDocHill, Leiria and 7 others like this.
  6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    On what basis is it determined that the frets should be bent at those specific points?

Old Garage-Bander and Leiria like this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you think musicians are tradition bound, try fly fishing. On the rare occasion I visit the one "serious" fly shop in town, the help flips a coin to see who is going to have to talk to the "rough fish" guy.

8. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    This only works perfectly for one gauge of strings. If you cut your nut with a similar fudge factor as the bridge (as the Earvana or similar) your intonation will be so good the crooked frets are not needed.

el_Bajo_Verde and El-Bob like this.
  9. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    The headline says "true temperament" while the text speaks about "perfect intonation" and "perfect pitches", but this way to "fix" the guitar frets is neither new nor particularly effective playing modern music together with others.
    If you are not playing solo guitar with only singers or violins, or if you want to play in different keys, the well tempered scale is actually a pretty clever compromise.
    If it was good enough for Bach, it is good enough for me.

leonard, Leiria, aborgman and 7 others like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's how my guitar looked after smoking a bag of Thai weed by myself back in 1979.

I don't do that stuff any more.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You mean play guitar? Thank goodness.

12. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Someone needs to explain how and why this works. I very well understand the concept of equal and just temperment. I also know that if you're looking for perfect intonation, F# in a D chord is not the same F# in a B chord.
    That said, anything that can get a guitar in tune has my vote.
    (what would a re-fret job cost?)

13. OH FFS, talk about a solution in search of a "problem".

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  15. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Seems to me this would only work if you play in one key, and if you modulated to a different key, it would sound wildly dissonant?

16. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    How about no-frets as a solution?

17. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Frets on acid? No thanks!!! This will catch on as much as fanned fret instruments..in other words it won't catch on.

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i am curious about this also, and the vai article from 2009 did not mention this at all. and so i wonder...is this 'just' intonated to a 'well tempered' scale?

19. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    If it's what you're into it's only kinky the first time...

wmmj and Charlzm like this.
  20. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    The article also says no harmonics? That would be a little of a bummer.

4dog likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021