Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True TONE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirby, Mar 17, 2003.

1. kirby

kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    What solid state amp would give the most realistic tone of your bass? Which one has the opposite, artificial sound? That tone that guitarists call "clean" as opposed to the other dist. channel on their amps?
    In my humble opinion (from what i have tried) the most "real" solidstates are fenders & H&K...
    The most synthy are trace elliots...
    :bassist:

2. The heads most people consider to be true to the sound ot the input signal are Walter Woods heads, the Acoustic Image Clarus, and the Euphonic Audio iAMP(s).

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree with cjazz50...if i had the money i would get a walter wodds head. MMMMMMMMMM.........oh, sorry was i drooling
    :D

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    From my first hand experience, I'd say the Walter Woods heads and Euphonic Audio iAMPs.

I've been told by a couple of friends that the Acoustic Image Clarus will give you your bass's true tone. This one seems to be favored by upright players.

I've also heard that certain combinations of high-end preamps and power amps will give you true tone. I haven't had much experience in this area so I'll defer to the TBers who know more about these rigs to provide you with comments.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Glockenklang BassArt and Bugatti lines might be some of the most hi-fi setups.