Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

true value of bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by only4him012, Dec 3, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    ok, the list price of a stingRay MM is.....something like $1500 ...retiail price...like $1000....

how much do you think is the true value of your bass that you have? *let's be realistic*

2. The value of any of my basses lies in the fact that I can use them to make music.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    In terms of market value, always 66% of what you paid new, or $200 less than you bought it used.

In terms of musical value: PRICELESS!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    MIM Jazz Bass- $349
    Bartolini Pickups- $75
    Gotoh Bridge- $20
    Pickguard- $22
    Knobs- $4

Total: Priceless. :D

Well, actually, $470, but, you know, priceless like a mother's love and all that.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard another formula, too...1/3 of what the instrument would sell for RETAIL, at least on a trade-in. 1/2 of retail if selling it to another individual and it's in great condition.

As always, that formula's also governed by what the buyer's willing to pay and how desperate the seller is.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I seem to always be too willing and too desperate!!;)

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    In the spirit of true capitalism. It is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Thus we have eBay. For an example. If you put your house on the market for 150k because the realtor said its worth that, and the highest offer your receive is 140K, then thats what your house is truly worth.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    With few exceptions, used, mint musical instruments sell for about 40-45 percent of list.

Poor condition can bring them down significantly from there.

Amps are about the same, but other electronics are more subject to losing value as technology is advancing all the time.

Chas

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I kinda got sidetracked on the original question, what are MY basses worth. Thank you for asking.
    Cort Headless w/barts $200 high estimate. Yamaha BB200 w/SDPB2 $150?? Carvin 5 string, probably $500. Hand Carved highly modded EB0/EB3 on the vintage market probably $300, but I wouldn't take $2000 for it and probably wouldn't part with any of the above basses for what they are worth. Why, because I have painstakingly chosen each for their individual personalities and abilities. Now, what are your basses worth?;)