True Widow (Texas doomgaze content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BudD, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BudD

BudD

Jan 20, 2011
    Detroit
    Got turned onto True Widow, the Dallas doomgaze trio, listening to Henry Rollins' show on KCRW last Sunday. Nicole Estill lays down one of the filthiest bass lines I've ever heard on this track, called "Night Witches." There's obviously overdrive and fuzz at play here, but what is she using to get that round, multidimensional effect? Or is this all studio magic?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I'd never heard of them, but I'm listening to their most recent album and liking what I'm hearing.
    Thanks for the FYI.

3. First I've heard the term "doomgaze" lol. I just call it heavy rock, but I get it.

As for the bass effect, in addition to whatever dirt she's using there might be some stereo chorus and reverb going on, with some stereo separation to give it that big sound. Hard to tell.

4. BudD

BudD

Jan 20, 2011
    Detroit
    Yes, listening to it again I'm sure that kind of enveloping effect I'm hearing on headphones was produced by Pro Tools in the mixing process by manipulating the stereo separation. I don't know much about flangers/phasers/chorus pedals, but I wonder if something like that could be used for a similar live stereo sound?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021