Truetone power brick vs T-Rex fuel tank

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by T.Rex, Aug 14, 2016.

1. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada
    I'm just interested in what you guys prefer over these two power boxes and why, if you guys have other power boxes you'd rather over these two then feel free to add to this thread.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Both companies offer several models. It really depends on how many outlets you need, and at what voltage, amperage, and whether AC or DC.

My first isolated PS was a T Rex Chameleon. Great quality, but I severely underestimated the amount my board would expand.

Second is an MXR Iso Brick. Lots more outlets, worked great for me for about 6 months until it just died last week. Luckily Dunlop will fix it for free, I just have to pay shipping there. So +1 to them for good customer service.

In the meantime while the IB is getting repaired, and because it turns out it will suit my needs more closely than the IB, I've bought a used Truetone CS12. I've read nothing bad about it yet.

gregmon79 and T.Rex like this.
  3. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

just a quick off topic question but what could happen if you use a DC power supply on an AC pedal?

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    No idea

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    It shouldn't hurt it, it might even run, just underpowered, depending on the design and voltage requirements.

The Trutone gets my vote as it can handle more power than what is written on the individual outputs. I don't think there are any/many other supplies out there that can give the Le Bass the 12V 500mA it needs for example!

T.Rex likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021