1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trujillo's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ROON, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I think this is the right place to post this, forgive me if im wrong. What bass is Trujillo playing in this clip? And what cool effect is he using at the start?

I thought it looked like a Traben, but I checked on their website and it doesnt seem to be one. Anybody know what it is? :confused:

2. fernandes with trujillo's designs on it.doesn't look like a traben to me.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I guess it`s a Fernandes. He`s been playing them for a long time.

BTW, I`ve never seen him playing his Signature Zon. :meh:

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Reminded me of a Traben because of the cool blue sun type pattern on the finish. I know Traben have some designs similar to that. Ive only ever seen one or two of their basses though. It was just a stab in the dark.

5. Fernandes Gravity Deluxe loaded with EMGs and bart preamp.

I also wanna know what effects he's using :D

6. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    Not sure about the effects seeing as my speakers are broken... but im pretty sure that's a custom Zon Sonus, looks pretty sweet with the purple flames ;)

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Forget how Jason played it! I hate him :) Burton played it with the same effects on the track recording (or something similar, it sounds a bit different live).

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I deleted my thread to stop a flame war :D.

9. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    Looking at it again it's not a Zon Sonus, definitely not...

10. Men, that's all in the fingers!!
    He sounds great on any bass. period...
    I thinks it's his Fernandez bass and probably modified too.
    They could be doing the effects at the board or a bass rodie, these guys are praticed, seasoned Pros.
    This was my first time seeing the new line up, except in the movie thing they did.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    After seeing Some Kind of Monster, I decided I really disliked him, I dunno why but I really just had a hating on him. But after seeing this clip of Orion I have alot more respect, he plays it quite well. :) ... Still itching to know what effect he is using! Its some type of distortion, but it doesnt sound like any pedal ive ever used. :confused:

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I guess you've never heard Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves?:meh:

BTW, that director sucks! He pretty much missed Trujillo's solo!:spit:

13. i think he's a great bass player, but no one will ever be cliff. his tone (especially going into the quiet interlude) is WAY too "bitey" - cliff's tone was so round and fat in that part. sounds like rob is digging in super hard.

and anyone else notice two bass lead lines that seemed to be guitar in the original, or was i mistaken?

i am also REALLY interested in finding out what types of effects give that grindy intro noise sound.

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I agree his tone is a bit on the bitey side, but it's not bad. Rent Ozzy Live at Budokan and listen to his tone. In the liner notes of Master, it says Cliff plays the last solo.

Whoa....check out his real name!
    Roberto Agustín Miguel Santiago Samuel Trujillo Veracruz
    Say that 10 times really fast without having your tongue jump out of your mouth and run out the door screaming!

15. i always thought it was some awesome distortion with some crazy filter

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    According to the Metallica site, this is what he uses:

Ampeg SVT II amplifiers & Ampeg 8x10 speaker cabinets
    Mesa Boogie Rectifier amplifiers & Mesa Boogie 4x12 speaker cabinets
    Morley Power Wah pedals
    Fernandes bass guitars
    Zon bass guitars
    Music Man bass guitars
    Dean Markley Strings
    EMG pickups
    Dunlop FX & products

It's probably a combination of technique, pushing those tubes and effects. It would be hard to nail without it coming from his mouth.

17. He's playing octaves, thats my guess on why the distortion sounds like that.

If you watch his fretting hand he's doing a lot of extra stuff. If you watching his plucking hand, he's using his thumb on the low B and index on the A string.

I was gonna say it was possible a Prunes and Custard, since it's a distortion with a variable filter. However if you wait until later in the song, the distortion isn't "changing" and he's playing pretty hard. With a Custard, the harder you play, the more ****ed up a sound you get. not the case later on.

So my guess is just distortion+octave playing.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Nobody will ever be Cliff, and thank goodness for that. A Cliff clone would be really boring, because nobody else is Cliff.

I like the different take on Orion.

And Trujillo has a rock pedigree that is hard to beat. Hate on him all you want.. but know your history.

19. Lordcliff

Lordcliff

May 19, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In an interview prior to the release of Puppets Cliff talks about some of the solos "You won't be able to tell it's bass, but it is". and in, I think it was in one of the recent bass mags, they talk about his bass solos being incorrectly transcribed for guitar, for all these years. I had long wondered what they actually were too.
    I have a hard time telling guitar players "Sorry, those are bass solos" There are two, distorted solos before the main break/bass solo (which, is my favorite bit of music, ever), if I'm remembering correctly
    sorry it's late, I can't remember details (like time references, and links to interviews).

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont hate him anymore, lol. I always knew he is an amazing bassist, he has played in two of my favourite bands. Black Label Society and Metallica. I mean if he was crap why would the almighty Zakk go anywhere near him?