Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truly Original

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ARA punk, Jun 8, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    What bands/artist that have come out in recent years, can you think of that were truly original. Almost creating an entirly new genre? Someone made a post about giving a child a guitar who had never heard music before and wondering what the kid would come up with, and i got to thinking about originality.

Some of the ones i came up with:

AFI was one band that i came up with. You can definatly hear influences in their music, but I cant think of any bands that share the same sound as they do.

I think Bela Fleck and The Flecktones have a rather odd sound. You can really tell these guys have found a way to fuse all their musical roots into something that works wonderfully.

These bands arent' really that grand of examples as to what i'm looking for. Someone who has just pushed the envelope and cannot be confined into any one genre. What do you think?

2. Suburban_punk

Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    Denver
    Because the sun sets and rises as far as I'm concerned with them...Janes Addiction.

If we listen to what was coming out in the mid/ late 80's (when they started out) The y were SO ahead of their time.
    There stuff today still holds water and its almost 20 years old.

I truly believe without Janes, there would not have been a Nirvana or Soundgarden. That whole grunge thing would have stayed local to the Northwest.

My .02

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    There is a group from canada that comes to mind, The New Deal. They are classified as somdthign like Live PRogressive Breakbeat House. The instrumentation is a synthist (mainly moogs), drummer, and bass player. They create dance music live. Something that you don't see often when you go to dance clubs. The bass player is realyl goos as well.

www.thenewdeal.ca

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Took my answer.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Like them or not, I think System of a down is pretty original sounding (how much is there really left to do in metal anyway?????). From the spanish inspired classical guitar solos, to the funky vocal work, a lot of it sounds very original IMO.

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Definately. I've never heard a band sound like SOAD.

Mudvayne is a good example as well. Though the heavy metal is pretty evident in some songs, they have some very unique stuff (mostly thanks to the bassist, Ryan :D and the drummer)

Rage Against The Machine. One of the first rap/rock style bands... and who can do what Tom Morello does?

KoRn... Fieldy may suck :p, but they certainly were original

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Both great guitar and bass lines.

Slipknot. I know that's barely on the border of music, but they certainly had a unique sound [​IMG]

Also I would say both Nirvana and Alice in Chains were original for their time, and helped shape their genres.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

What you dont hear them ripping off the Misfits/Samhain??? I know they like them because they cover their tunes. But even their originals sound like them.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    AHHAAA!!!! I knew I heard some type of foreign influence in SOAD, so I did some checking....

Malakian, singer Serj Tankian, bassist Shavo Odadjian and drummer John Dolmayan, bonded quickly as friends but also shared Armenian ancestry and mutual disdain for perceived limitations. Their disparate tastes – Jaco Pastorious, Slayer, The Beatles, Faith No More, traditional Armenian folk music – assured from the onset that this would be a band less ordinary.

Too cool!

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Early King's X

Bad Brains

24-7 SPYZ

10. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Gorguts - Their album Obscura is highly unique.

Illuminatus I doubt that anyone can find a similar sounding band.

11. I agree with RATM, very original style.

I don't really agree with Nirvana and Alice in Chains though. Although they brought an original sound to the 'mainstream,' there were a lot of underground bands, like the Pixies, who had a grunge sound before it was christened grunge. Kurt Cobain even admitted he was worried Nevermind would be seen as a lame Pixies imitation.

As for other bands I think are original, I think Radiohead are very original. It is impossible to put a genre on them, and I have never heard music like theirs before.

12. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Yeah i hear it. Thats why i said you could see the influences. No band is not going to take influences from others. I was just saying i thought they just blended all their ideas together and created something very creative.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    AFI isn't a Misfists cover band?!

Seriously, musically, they sound like The Offspring. I can't think of a whole lot that's original about AFI. But, their lead singer is pretty hot, for a goth chick.

I'd say Candiria is pretty original. Seamless blending of hardcore, hip-hop, jazz, and metal.

Squarepusher also kinda pushes the limits of what is techo, drum'n'bass, and well, sanity.

Melt Banana crosses a few lines in noisecore and sheer aural punishment.

14. Sigur Ros and The Mars Volta.

15. don't forget ATDI.;)
    also, Dredg. if you haven't heard them...wow. they're the most beautiful, inspiring band i've ever heard in my life. moves me to tears to this day.
    Nirvana started off as a melvins-clone; kurt said so himself. i mean, listen to "creepy smell" by the melvins, then listen to the some tracks off of nirvana's "bleach" (in particular, "big cheese").
    nirvana was the first BIG band with their sound, but not the first ever.

16. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    I don't agree with a lot of the bands being said, but off the top of my head I can only think of one... Atom and His Package! Ok, ok, maybe the synthy, techno, comedy thing has been done before but you just gotta love that guy.

17. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hmmmmm bands that are ......deffinitly original..

System of a down, as mentioned

I think Cannible Corpse, I mean, nobody growls like Chris Barnes. Im not too much for the new guy, george though. He just doesn't pack it like Chris did.

AFI is pretty original, in a way that, there sound changes on every album just about!

This really good band from memphis, called Trickle Down. :) They are unlike any metal ive heard. Its prog-riff & roll metal with a female singer. Say like Tool met Motorhead met kittie. The bass player even looks like Billy Corgan.

TOOL! I can tell some BIG influences by King Crimson, and maybe safe to say some Nine Inch Nails?
    They are pretty original though.

Peach - anybody heard of them? I know someone here has, They are pretty awesome, they have a sorta original sound. Tool covered there song You Lied.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have you ever heard of Faith No More, by any chance?

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I used to be a big FNM fan, and I don't get the connection....sorry