1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trumpet player masquerading as a bassist saying Hi!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Stile442, Jun 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stile442

Stile442

Jun 2, 2017
    NoVa
    Hi everyone,

Just found this wonderful place and thought I should introduce myself before I start making a fool of myself on the forums :laugh:. I am a trumpet player by trade, currently in Winchester Va working on my Doctorate degree in trumpet performance. I started playing bass for a singles group at my church many moons ago (about 15 years) when I was in Az. I progressed to playing fairly regularly in Fl, where I moved to compete my undergraduate and masters degrees, playing a Ibanez SRX505, moving to a SR505, and finally a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 fretless I bought to record an album for my friend in April 2015, when I was at the height of my limited bass playing experience. Shortly thereafter my wife (then fiancé) and I moved to Winchester for the aforementioned doctorate degree and with the class load and trumpet responsibilities my bass playing went from frequent to non existent. :bawl:

Fast foward to the present and I'm far enough along in the degree to have some breathing room and lo and behold my church, where I currently work the sound board, has decided to expand the worship team and I get to play bass again! :hyper::bassist:

To that end, I am officially saying hi and looking forward to getting my chops back! I'm also looking to offload my Schecter and am eyeing a Carvin JB-5 being offered locally as I am in no way adept enough to trust myself on a fretless anymore and I've always loved Jazz basses. Hopefully my Schecter finds a loving local home soon!

All the best from NoVa!!

Brandon :)

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Welcome, look forward to your comments.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Welcome to Talkbass. I've known quite a few trumpet/bassists in my time. Not sure why that's such a popular doubling combination but it sure seems to be.

5. Stile442

Stile442

Jun 2, 2017
    NoVa
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

Jallenbass: I think its because its opposite ends of the musical spectrum. Thats what it is for me anyway. The trumpet is traditionally high and in the forefront of the sound a listener hear and more often than not has the melody or a "HEY! look a me!" moment like in a funk band horn line. I was attracted to bass because it offers me the other side of the coin. I get to create the framework (with the drummer of course lol) that the rest of the band builds on. That to me is a wonderful feeling :)

MalcolmAmos likes this.