Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trumpet to Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pdusen, Jan 17, 2005.

1. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    It didn't occur to me until now, but reading around this forum, I notice that alot of good Bassists are former trumpet players? I know Flea was one (not that I have heard Flea), and I actually played trumpet for 3 years, and picked up the bass a little while after I quit trumpet.

Is there some sort of trend here?

2. BluesBrian

BluesBrian

Aug 16, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Yokey, I'll grab that one.. I played trumpet from grade school on through high school. At sometime when I was around 17 or 18, I got drawn in toward playing bass.. but I didn't get that going until I was 47.
    So, what does that mean? I have no idea. Other than some phycho connection to music, I don't really see any connection.
    // Brian

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    trumpet is my main instrument

bass is my second instrument

:)

4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Flip it around, and you've got me. I started on trumpet, but realized that I liked bass much more (and could play it much better, too). I still play the trumpet, though, but not as much as bass.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I used to play trumpet, then an unfortunate incident involving the bell of my brass-encrusted dreams to a halt.

Took up bass to compensate. Probably all for the better.

6. I have been playing trumpet for 8 years, I have been playing bass for 1.5 years. :bassist:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wanted to play trumpet in sixth and seventh grades, but my parents couldn't afford the rental. Does that count?:D

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A bunch of the guys on the DB side are, or were trumpet players. Weird how that works out, ne?

I'm not...hell, I can't even make a sound on one. I've got nothing but respect for horn and brass players...what a pain in the arse to make music on. Strings are much easier.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played trumpet (used to be my main instrument) for quite a while before I switched over to bass. Haven't played trumpet in over 20 years now.

Just bought a trombone from the Goodwill store.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    did price fixing on new trumpets affect the resale cost of that goodwill trombone????

:D :bag: :D

11. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    i played sax in grade school..not exactly a trumpet,but its the same color

12. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    There was a post about what other instruments bassists play, a poll I think. I know when I put my vote in, trumpets were leading the pack.

I played trumpet for 6 years before bass. An old teacher of mine was an amazing trumpet player as well as bass player. And one of the other jazz band bass players at school is a former trumpeteer.

Weird

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Probably:D

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not really... Dizzy only needed three valves.

:bag:

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

!!!

Man, that is classic!:D

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, i miss diz. he passed just days before IAJE was here in San Antonio back in the early 90's.

it really changed the whole convention.

BTW, if any of you guys see Dizzy's autobiography "To Be or Not To Bop" get it. it's out of print, but a great read. lots of history.

:)

18. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Yes, you've heard Flea. Play "pretty little ditty" and listen for the trumpet.

Cheers,

knight

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was the battalion bugler in military school, and first trumpet. As a matter of fact, my first "professional gigs" were playing "Taps" at veterans' funerals. Usually paid $40-50 for 24 notes...in the early 80s! I got in four in one Saturday once, $185 total, BIG money for a 15-yr old! They'd usually throw in lunch as well... :D

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    BTW- Flea plays tuba as well, right?