Trumpets??? INFO PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flea claypool, Mar 2, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    does anyone here play/know about trumpets?

im thinking of taking it up as a 2nd instrument
    i wanna know do they have a full octave?
    and how complex are they?
    Cheers Aurin

Oh plus any other info that may help :help:
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    trumpet is my main axe

i have a 3 and a half octave range. trumpet is a very difficult instrument to play, so you may want to study with a teach if you intend to do any gigs.

the best advice i can give you is play tons of long tones and rest as long as you play when you are practicing.
  3. Well, they're metal, have valves to change pitch, and you blow into them. Oooooh, and spit valves. Love those.

I used to play Trombone. Had good lung capacity. Never tried trumpet. Saxamophone is different.

Rock trumpet. Where it's at man. :bassist:
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I play trumpet as well. I find that your mouth does most of the work, rather than your fingers. It's not to complex, once you get the hang of it.

5. I played trumpet for roughyl 2 weeks, and gave up because I was bored of it(I was about 12 at the time too)

Make sure to work on your mouthing(sounds sexy yes, but it's not) techniques to get the full extent out of the instrument. It's not just blow and finger it.

Oooh, this was such a dirty sounding post. :smug:
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah. I had almost 3 1/2 octaves in my prime. Havent played it much at all since high school. It is complicated, in it's own way. Totally different mentality then bass. Really enjoyed it, though.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry I can't help you. I only play butt trumpet and I imagine that's not the one you're interested in. I'm pretty talented though.

brad cook
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I'm a woodwind guy.

I learned enough trumpet in two weeks to teach a ballet dancer how to play taps. That's the extent, but it's very difficult.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    claudio is great! i saw him at IAJE in the early 90's and he just blew me away....and he was playing a rotary trumpet (which is even harder to play).

10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I played trumpet for 5 years before swapping out for bass, and it is no picnic, so to speak. Your lips will hate you for a quite a while. The range you get is entirely up to your playing ability and lip strength. Most accomplished players get between 3 and 4 octaves. I was only able to play 2 1/2 when I quit. The combination of lip strength and shape, tonguing techniques, and memorizing finger positions (the easy part) will be a lot of work. When i first started I though it would be easy because I it only had 3 valves! I was so wrong....
  11. I don't even know what that is !!! :bawl:

I have two of his CDs, and gotta get more!

I heard a few of his songs I'd never heard before on

Channel 95 - Luna, Latin Jazz. :cool:

Everyone, get some of Claudio's CDs, and get XM radio. ;)

12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sorry! :D International Association of Jazz Educators....they had the convention down here (a day after Dizzy passed :( )
  13. trumpets are cool!!

trumpet has a range of Fsharp below the stave to the first C above the stave , takes a long time and alot of practice to be able to play the full range (which i can now after 6 years!!)
    The valves stuff isnt too complicated its more your lips and stomach to get the whole range.
  14. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I played trumpet for 8 years before picking up the slab. I've always found it interesting that a lot of current bass players are former trumpet players. I think there's even a thread on TB some where about that very phenomenon. But I digress...

As others have mentioned, trumpet is an entirely different beast compared to a string instrument like bass. With bass a lot of folks will tell you that your sound/tone is usually found in your hands and fingers. With trumpet it's all in your lips and the strength of your diaphram.

In the beginning you will not be able to play very long without some discomfort in your lips. A lot of practice will build up lip strength thus reducing the pain. That lip strength is also extremely important in the range you are able to play as well as the quality of the tone you can produce from the horn. Frequent playing is essential to keeping up your lip strength.

You'll definitely want to seek out a qualified instructor to begin with. Any brass or woodwind instrument is difficult to tame. The help of a qualified instructor will help make that process much smoother and allow you to make greater strides faster versus trying to teach yourself.

Good luck, watch that ombasure (sp) and sit up straight! :smug:

15. Yeah, you should see it. When he inhales, his ass bumps out like J Lo.

Only you don't wanna see him clear his spit valve. Just nasty.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I wished I played... there are about 300 crappy rentals (Olds, Reynolds, Conn...etc.) sitting in the same room with me... And about 40 Bach Strads (37's and 43 bells) in the other room...

Y'all are way too talented.