Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trumpets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redjeep!, Jun 18, 2002.

1. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Hi,

This is pretty much my first thread here on TB as a returning bassist after a 20 year pause.

My soon to be 4'th grader is looking to start playing the trumpet in school next year and I'd rather buy him a trumpet than rent one.

Now, many many years ago, I used to play in a brass band and so have a little experience, but am wondering if anybody could give me some advice on what to look for, i.e names to go for, names to avoid, any source for reasonable quality used trumpets etc (in the US).

I don't want to spend a fortune, but on the other hand don't want him to have something unsuitable or "different". I guess around $150 -200 would be OK.

Another issue is that his music teacher at school is also my bass teacher......

Thanks.

2. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    ive had to deal w/ renting instruments before, and trust me, its not worth it. your smart to go ahead and buy one. i'd HIGHLY recomend a pawn shop for a good used trumpet. as for some names, yamaha and king are great brands. you may have to spend more that 200$ on them but the best thing to do is if he is determined to stick to it, trade in a gun, cd player, ect. to get him the trumpet. if you find one get info on it and put it on here and somnoe will tell u if its worth it

Dave

3. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm a trumpet player as well, and I would suggest a beginner model Yamaha, as mentioned earlier.

For the first 6 months that I played (in 6th grade) I used a rented piece of crap trumpet. I don't remember the name of the thing. It was in terrible shape, but it got me interested. Then, for my birthday, my parents got me a silverplated Yamaha student model. I played that until my junior year in high school and it was a great horn for that level of player. Once I got halfway through high school, the 'rents bought me a nice Bach Stradivarius, and that's what I still use. I kept my Yamaha for things like marching band, so that I could screw around and not really have to worry a lot about damaging my good trumpet.

It will be tough to find a good beginner horn for under $200 that is not used. I have been in some music stores that sell used brass instruments, and that is probably your best bet. Also, talk to local band directors. They sometimes are contacted by people who are trying to get rid of instruments that are no longer played and can be a good source of information. There might also be bulletin boards in music departments of local music stores or colleges. They sometimes have good deals on instruments as well.

Is your son going to be playing in a school band? If he is, depending on the band program, you might be able to borrow an instrument from the school. I knew some people who did that in my school. The horns were not good quality, but they worked nonetheless.

Good luck!

4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Thanks everyone so far.

The $200 budget is reasonably flexible, I just didn't want to start throwing money into a rental deal @ $180/ year without knowing whether my son would still be playing at the end of the year.

I also didn't want to spend $1000 on a trumpet for a 9 year old for the same reason and so felt looking for a used trumpet would be the way to go.

I could probably differentiate between a musical instrument and a wall ornament though as I did play cornet, flugel horn and tenor horn for a few years a long long time ago.

I might see if I can find a reputable used dealer and go that way.

Thanks,
    Andy

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a trumpet player, have been for 18 years.

As others have suggested, Yamaha student models are definately a good way to go, as they generally play well (for a student model) and they have as good a tone as you can hope for with a beginner horn. Bach also makes a good student model, but they are more expensive.

I would avoid a pawn shop like the plague. You can really get burned buying a trumpet (or any instrument for that matter) from a pawn shop if you don't know what to look for. The most common thing you'll find in a pawn shop bought horn is that the valves are bent oh so slightly due to a beginner player not pressing straight down on them. I did this when I was younger, as it's not uncommon, and it hosed the valves on my intermediate horn that I had. It would have cost more money than the horn was worth to have it fixed.

Ask your child's music teacher about music stores in the area.. any good music program knows the stores to go to and to avoid.

6. I play trumpet, still have a student model yamaha,
    a good horn, got used 1yr old for approx $450-
    $500 (cant remember exactly), might go for older
    used, but whatever you buy, i HIGHLY DISRECOMMEND jupiter, make good t-bones, rented
    a student model trumpet, it was NOT good.:mad:

7. When I first picked up trumpet (in fourth grade), our school provided a rental program for us kids. It was really nice because the company, Gribbons, made weekly stops to the school to pick up instruments needing repair, to drop off extra supplies (you could order valve oil, reeds, etc from them), or to drop off instruments, new and repaired. you might want to check to see if the school runs on such a program.
    the first trumpet i had was a Holton. i still have it- i'll use it for marching and things- its a great beginner horn! (i now have a bach omega) the Holton played really well and although the valves were temperamental, it wasnt any worse than anyone else's. i still play it on some days! i used this horn for probably two or three years. i would reccomend either a Holton or a Yamaha- NOT a jupiter! they are relatively inexpensive, and very easy to find, and are usually offered through school music suppliers.

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I would also put my vote for the Yamaha. I started on a Yamaha and have sinced moved on to a Yamaha Heavy Wall. Being from a town that has no real instrument stores I have seen a lot of "budget"/"pawn shop" trumpets. I would defenintly not even think about buying one. Here are a few brands to stay away from: Bundy, Lafeyette, Amati, and Paris.

hey check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=885415728

good deal!

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As far as I can tell, the Yamaha 2335 is the gold standard for student trumpets. If he sticks with it, it should serve him well through college.

10. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Well I happen to quit band this year. I have a King trumpet. I'm gonna be a junior in high school. I got this brand new in 5th grade. It has quite a few dents, but I could see about getting those taken out. Anyway its a decent starter instrument. You would get the case and a King 7C mouthpiece with it. PM if you wanna talk. $200?

11. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    King's are decent beginner instrument. thats what i used up until I quit this year. You could probably find one in that range used.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I used a Bach in my high school jazz band days. I don't remember the model but it was one in between the beginner one and the Stradivarius. The horn wasn't bad for the money. Bach seems to have a good reputation for trumpets, and when I went to high school in Va pretty much everyone had a Bach Stradivarius.