Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trus Rod care !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Captain Freedom, Aug 25, 2003.

1. I'm pretty good at care & Maintanence of my bass's.
    Is there any kind of care i could do for the ol' Trus Rod.
    like removing it greaseing it up & putting it back in..Or spraying WD 40 down the hole or something...For optimal tweaking performance...
    Or are these things tabboo .

:bassist:

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I read somewhere...once...that it was recommended to lubricate them with graphite once a year, but it seems to me that doing so would be a good way to destroy a perfectly good neck.

3. I know that when you change your strings. you should take a pencil, and color the slots where the strings go. The graphite act as a lubricant. The strings tune better and stuff

:rolleyes:

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    There is nohing you can really do. It would be impossible to remove the trussrod without takin off the fingerboard.

5. On my basses where the truss rods adjust at the headstock, I spray a shot of WD-40 into the truss rod channel every now and then. It hasn't hurt anything yet and the adjustments seem to be a little easier to make.