Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trus Rods and routing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass for Beef, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    Hey,
    I'm about to build my first bass. I'm aimin big witht he design and woods, but why the heck not. Any ways I've been wondering how create a neck and put the truss rod in and everything.. Then any other tips besides buying abook wou ld be helpfull.
    Tootles,
    Cherron

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    two ways i know off. i am still starting in this business but i will contribute with what i know.

1. the Fender way of doing it. u slot a channel from the back of the neck (where ur fretting hand thumb rests). drop the truss rod and seal it with a walnut strip. this is done with the maple fretboards and necks that Fender do. that way u have a single piece maple neck+fretboard.

2. before u glue on the fretboard, u slot a channel on the top of the neck (where the fretboard will go). drop in the truss rod and then cover it with a fretboard of your choice.

method 2 seems to be a lot more popular and its a lot easier to be done ... and cleaner too!

one thing, u should drop the truss rod in with some glue. not too much so you dont disable its action movement :)

hope i didnt post any false information

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Huy, uy, that's a tricker!!!
    If you, by any chance, use any glue for that purpose....be exceptionally sure of what you are doing, and extremely cautious.

Two occations when gluing would be feasible:
    aluminium U-channel truss rods: the U-channel should be glued in, but no glue on the rod!
    mahrous latter alternative, if the nut stop is very narrow, and then you must only glue this nut stop to the neck and absolutely nothing else!

Apart from that, I find mahrous correct.
    Question is, was it answer to your question? It was not really 100% clear, to me...

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    What have you got against books? What you get with a book that you won't get here is the "and everything" part of your question.

5. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I'm in the exact same boat as you, Cherron. I've been planning how to build my first bass. I've also been thinking a lot about the neck and EXACTLY how to do that, also. I have book called "Making your own elctric guitar and bass", and it has a lot of really great stuff in there. I suggest you buy a book, read it, and THEN ask questions! hehe...good luck. We'll both need it!

-Josh

6. +1

Books open up the imagination. Seeing the illustrations and being able read and reread an expert's complete explanation will set you on the path of more questions.

In other words, it will give you the resources to ask the intelligent questions.

7. What book would you guys recommend as the best one on neck construction? There are a thousand books out there, and I would be interested (FBB, Hambone) to see what you guys considered to be a good book.

Thanks.

8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0953104907/103-8666388-7494236?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3901314075/103-8666388-7494236?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1895569702/103-8666388-7494236?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

The third one is not as somprehensive in information, but has good pics and was useful for me as well as the others.

9. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I have the third book on that list, and although I haven't started building my first bass yet, I've been able to come up with a pretty detailed design. Needless to say....books come in handy...

-Josh