Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod adjust after gauge change?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lil'bass, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Ive just changed to a lighter guage, ive been told i will need to adjust the truss rod slightly but which way? Tighter or looser? Please help as i only have this bass for a couple of days as im recording with it. Thanks in advance. x

2. There are some variables involved and you may or may not need to adjust the truss rod. Usually, if it DID need an adjustment under your circumstances, you would want to loosen the truss rod (i.e. add relief) because the lighter gauge strings would exert less tension on the neck. Again, you may not need to adjust the truss rod.

3. Good point. Play the bass at normal tune for a bit to see how it affected your action. You might like the new feel just the way it is.
    The lighter strings will exert less tension on the neck, so if you do find your action lower or fret buzzing, loosen the truss about 1/4 turn for starters. Restring, retune, test.

Mag...

4. Excellent advice from both of these guys... :bassist: